cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep Data Indefinitely - Do NOT Overwrite

wimvmuitgevers
Level 2

Hello,

I have installed Backup Exec 12 for Windows Servers on a SBS using a HP Ultrium 2-SCSI tapedrive.

I have setup a backup job and a media set.

Whatever i do, the Backupjob keeps saying: Keep Data Indefinitely - Do NOT Overwrite.

Ofcourse the backup works fine until the tape is full an that is the end. It looks like I cannot re-format the tapes nor overwrite them. The new tape, excactly the same.

This is a very expensive way of backing up.

Does anybody know how to correct this?, so that the tapes will append data and start overwrite from the beginning when full?

This is really bugging me, I am almost ready to abandon the whole tape-backup system and go back to a external HD or so.

regards,

Wim

4 REPLIES 4

Dev_T
Level 6

Hello,

"Keep Data Indefinitely - Do NOT Overwrite" means after the TAPE is FULL we won't be able to OVERWRITE on that TAPE unless we Erase the TAPE OR Associate the TAPE with the "Scratch Media"

Open the job properties:

1  : Under the Device & Media option, under Media Set, (I think ) we have Selected

"Keep Data Indefinitely - Do NOT Overwrite" is selected.

The Append & Overwrite property of a Device (TAPE OR B2D folder)depends on the Media Set Property.

Their are 2 Settings in the Media Set Properties..namely : Append Period & Overwrite protection period..

For Example : If we keep the Append Period = 5 days and Overwtite Period = 1 day...

Any media (TAPE OR B2D) associated with this media set will be appendable for 5 days and after the 5th day is over will be Overwrite protected for 1 day and after the Overwrite protection period is over is will be a Recyclable media.

Please refer the following technote:

support.veritas.com/docs/298982 

Best Regards

Dev T

Backup Exec for Windows Server

Symantec Inc.

wimvmuitgevers
Level 2

Thank you for your answer,

Sorry for not responding quickly, it has several causes.

The problem is still not solved, I will have a look how I can make the tape set FULLY writable again.

I will come back to this thread, hopefully to report that it all works.

regards, 

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Make sure that from Tools\Options\Media Management Overwrite is set to either FULL or PARTIAL, not NONE

wimvmuitgevers
Level 2

Thank you for replying. I was about to give up on the software altogether because I could not get it working properly, and turn back to the internal backup system of SBS 2003 (not a good option, I know, but better than no backup at all).

Just as I was about to uninstall I found the last backups had worked, be it with some minor errors.

I will let this board know how you contribution helps in getting it fully working and come back with a report after the backup is working satisfactory.

Regards

Wim Vos

Arnhem

Netherlands