cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTO Tape Capacities Differ on Identical Drives

Pootytang
Level 3

Greetings,

I'm using BE v20.2 with two tape libraries. One a TL4000 and the other a TL2000. Both are using the same drives with the same firmware version, same server. The TL4000 shows a capacity of 5.46Tb for LTO7 tapes yet the TL2000 shows a capacity of 2.27 for LTO7. These are the capacities listed for blank media on both drives. When the TL2000 runs a backup, the used capacity lists 2.27Tb. The TL4000, 5.46 Tb. How do I get the TL2000 capacity to match?

Thanks in advance

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

kf2013
   VIP   

Do you setup web management of TL2000? If yes, please see the status of tape in the inventory.

It will show you the LTO generation. 

Also, do you try to put the same tape from TL2000 to TL4000, will it show 5.46TB instead of 2.27TB?

View solution in original post

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

@Pootytang wrote:

When the TL2000 runs a backup, the used capacity lists 2.27Tb.

The 2.27Tb is the native capacity of an LTO6 media.  I would speculate that you have an LTO6 media with an L7 barcode in the TL2000?

That's it! Wrong barcodes on LTO6!

Many thanks Larry, was really scratching my head on this one. I was sure the tape generations were the same for the tapes in both libraries. Shot myself in the foot for sure!

Thanks again!

4 REPLIES 4

kf2013
   VIP   

Do you setup web management of TL2000? If yes, please see the status of tape in the inventory.

It will show you the LTO generation. 

Also, do you try to put the same tape from TL2000 to TL4000, will it show 5.46TB instead of 2.27TB?

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

@Pootytang wrote:

When the TL2000 runs a backup, the used capacity lists 2.27Tb.

The 2.27Tb is the native capacity of an LTO6 media.  I would speculate that you have an LTO6 media with an L7 barcode in the TL2000?

That's it! Wrong barcodes on LTO6!

Many thanks Larry, was really scratching my head on this one. I was sure the tape generations were the same for the tapes in both libraries. Shot myself in the foot for sure!

Thanks again!

Thanks KF2013!

comparing the two library web GUI's confirmed the difference in LTO generations. As Larry suspected, I've got LTO7 barcodes on LTO6 tapes!

Thanks again!