Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Label Volume altering

DNANOBEL
Level 4

Hi,

I have abit of a problem:

When I run the inventory to see my tapes in my Dell Powervault TL2000, and select the tape I want the label to be altered, and change the label and run the job, the description of the tape vanished, and the media label gets reset to default name instead of the name I entered in the "Label volume".

I don't get an error btw...

Is this a known issue or can somebody assist, because I sure can't fix it at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This is strange.  You said that you are not using barcode labels, yet your screenshot shows that you are using barcode labels for both your tape and the cleaning tape.  There are entries in the barcode label column.  Since your tape has a valid barcode label, you can just re-label it.  It will always use the label of the barcode label.  As I have said previously, with barcode labels, you have to change the barcode label to rename the tape.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

DNANOBEL
Level 4

Hi,

Thanks for the fast reply, but this isn't the issue.

I ran the label job, and yet the label isn't changed to the label i entered while the tape is still in the unit.

I figured to run another inventory job after the label job, and the default tapename is displayed again.

Regards

Footnote: It's not a new tape, it's an excisting tape in the media set, and i have no intention to format the tape.

Colin_Weaver

Are you using Barcodes?

DNANOBEL
Level 4

No barcodes, just labels

Colin_Weaver

Ok so have you used the "rename" operation against the tape instead of the "label" operation?

DNANOBEL
Level 4

Actually, I tried both.

After the labelling job the default tape name came up, so I tried to renaming the tape (what had thesame result).

Any idea's what could be wrong?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

After you have re-labeled the tape, how about deleting it from BE and then doing an inventory on it?  This have the effect of making it a "new" tape to BE.

To delete the tape, associate it with the Retired media set and then right-click on it to delete.

---------------------

As an aside, you should consider using barcode labels with your library.  They are much more efficient.  Read my article on this subject

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/using-barcode-labels-why-and-how

If you are using barcode labels, you just have to put a new barcode label onto the tape to "rename" it.  You just need to do a scan and that's it.

VJware
Level 6

Just curious - if you use BEMCMD, does it still exhibit the same behaviour or do the media labels actually change ?

DNANOBEL
Level 4

The media labels actually changed once i tried the label job, but not to the correct name, instead i got the default name of the tape.

DNANOBEL
Level 4

Hi,

If I understand correctly you suggest to take the tape out of the Media set , label it, and put back in the Media set?

---

Thanks for the suggestion, but at the moment there is no time to re-invent the wheel, but I will definatelly consider it :)

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No. Label the tape, delete it from BE and then inventory it.

DNANOBEL
Level 4

I try'd to do the following.

Label the media
Drag the tape to Retired media. Then delete it.
Then i run an inventoy. After that i still got a default media label name (000001L4)

Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This is strange.  You said that you are not using barcode labels, yet your screenshot shows that you are using barcode labels for both your tape and the cleaning tape.  There are entries in the barcode label column.  Since your tape has a valid barcode label, you can just re-label it.  It will always use the label of the barcode label.  As I have said previously, with barcode labels, you have to change the barcode label to rename the tape.

DNANOBEL
Level 4

Oke, and how do i change this? We dont want barcodes. We just want to make them monday t/m/ fryday.
And the problem is de Label Media job does not work.

Thank you.

VJware
Level 6

If you dont want barcodes, then the physical barcode label must be removed as barcodes will take precedence over media labels which is why you are unable to rename them  - HOWTO22306

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Since you already have barcode labels, it would be ashamed to remove them.  You should adapt to using barcode labels.

The way you are labeling the tapes means that you are managing the tapes rather than letting BE and the tape library manage the tapes for you.  With a tape library, life is very much easier if you let BE and the library manage the tapes for you.  See my article on this subject.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/must-mondays-backup-be-monday-tape

So by removing your barcode labels you are actually creating two sets of inefficiencies for your operation.  However, if you insisting on re-labeling your tapes your way, then remove the barcode labels from the tapes and stick some  plain labels on them.  You can then re-label the tapes.  Note that re-labeling the tapes will erase their contents.