cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Library Expansion Error

Level 3
I'm getting a Library Expansion Option Violation error on my tape library with 2 drives. I'm licensed for one drive and have one disabled as a backup but am still getting the license option violation error. Any suggestions?
8 REPLIES 8

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you have a library with two drives and one LEO, BackupExec should accept both drives, since out of the box it supports libraries with one drive.

Have you verified that the LEO option installed correctly?

Level 3
We do not have a LEO option purchased. Is that what the problem is? I didn't think it would be an issue since we're only operating one drive.

Level 3
Waiting to see if the LEO is required for the operation to work.

Level 3
If I call SALES I'm sure they will tell me I need to purchase the license. I don't think it would be required since I'm only using the one drive but it must be picking up the other drive still even with it disabled.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I'd guess that you are correct. BackupExec is doing a low level hardware check and seeing two drives. The fact that you have disabled one within the product apparently doesn't count.

Level 3
Is there a work around for this problem?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Not AFAIK.

Are you really not using the second drive at all? or just not within BackupExec?

If you are not using it at all, I guess you could power down the server and the library, then disconect the power cable from the second drive.

After you power on the library and then the server, all that will be seen is the first drive.

Ameet_Thakkar
Level 6
Regarding License information about Stand-alone drive and Libraries, please refer the following information.

Backup Exec media server will connect an unlimited number of individual "stand alone" backup drives, physical or virtual, optical, or one single backup drive within one physical or virtual autoloader, library, robotic library or robotic media changer. Those devices with two or more drives require a separate Library Expansion Option license for each additional drive beyond the first drive.

Please let us know if you have ( LEO ) license for the additional drive that you would like to use with Backup Exec. If you do not have LEO license then you will have to contact our Sales department and obtain the same in order to use the additional drive that you want to use.

Here we would like to add that, tape drives or robotic libraries must always be connected locally to the Media( Backup Exec ) server. Any tape drive or robotic library that is remotely connected to any remote machine cannot be controlled or operated from Backup Exec server.

Title:- Event ID 58053: "!" is reported when starting Backup Exec http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/252407.htm

We hope this helps.