cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licensing Question

James_Magee
Level 2
My client currently has (2) servers. One is an SBS 2003 Standard running AD and Exchange and the other is Windows 2003 Standard running SQL. I am interested in Backup Exec 10.d with the CPS option but I am confused as to what I need to purchase. I have a spare server that I can install for doing the CPS if necessary.

I see they have an SBS version. Will this backup a SQL database located on another server?

Thanks,
Jim
3 REPLIES 3

Nolon_Kellerhal
Level 2
You will need four licenses. One for the server BE 10.d is run on (comes with the purchase of 10.d) - One for exchange - One remote server licenses to backup remote server - and One for SQL database backup.

AD will be backed up from the current and remote server via configuration settings.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Could you please Update us on the issue?

Thank You,

Shweta

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Actually, you need 3 licenses.
1 * Backup Exec
1 * SQL Agent
1 * Exchange Agent

The SQL and Exchange agents include a Remote Agent licence, so you don't need a separate one.
With the above agents, if you add an additional server, you don't need an additional license for the new server (provided you are backing up files only).

I don't know off the top of my head about the SBS version backing up remote SQL.
To be honest, from a business point of view, I'd stay away from the SBS version, as it then ties you in to SBS, and if you upgrade servers to non-SBS version, you'd have to repurchase BE.