Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licensing problem Small Business Edition System Builder

Sleepy179
Level 3

Hi everybody!

My System:

Small Business Server 2008, one physical machine (Running Windows Server 2008 with Hyper-V), two virtual machines (One Small Business Server, one Standard Server 2008 with MS SQL).

I got Symantec Backup Exec 2012 Small Business Edition Business Pack in a System Builder Version. That should be exactly that, what I need to backup my three servers.

If I look to my licence information, the Small Busines Agent for Windows will close in 25 days. So I think, that agent has to be working without any limits on that product. See picture!

Any Ideas? The licencing hotline was not able to understand my problem. Very poor!

Greetings

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I think you have a problem with your configuration.  You would need another Agent for Applications and Databases licence to backup the SQL databases on the 2nd VM.  However, you cannot add this agent licence if you are using the Small Business edition of BE.  See this licencing guide

2012 Portfolio Licensing Guide

You should check this when checking with Symantec Licencing department.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I think you need to go back to the licensing hotline that you mention and ask for a manager to get involved to answer the question. Tech Support don't usually deal with licensing queries against product bundles and the licensing team don't usually monitor these forums.

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

I am assuming you have installed the SBS Backup Exec on the SBS 2008 server that you have. You still need licences for the 2 virtual machines that you might be backing up. Based on the information you have posted one of them is an SBS and the other is a SQL server)

Sleepy179
Level 3

Hi!

I installed the SBS Backup Exec on the physical machine. That ist the recommended procedure in that constellation. I'm wrong with that?

Greetings

Michael

Sleepy179
Level 3

Hi!

OK, I will give them a second chance.

Greetings

Michael

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

There is nothing wrong with your installation of Backup Exec. Like Colin mentioned, better find out if you have adequate licencing for your installation.

The best way to do this by contacting the Licening team.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I think you have a problem with your configuration.  You would need another Agent for Applications and Databases licence to backup the SQL databases on the 2nd VM.  However, you cannot add this agent licence if you are using the Small Business edition of BE.  See this licencing guide

2012 Portfolio Licensing Guide

You should check this when checking with Symantec Licencing department.

Sleepy179
Level 3

Hello!

That time I purchased the product I thought, it was specially for the SBS Server of Microsoft. The discription tells "Backup up to three servers". But there was no word, that this is optionaly!

Now I have the problem to buy a Windows Small Business Agent licence AND a Windows Server licence.

I think it will be less expensive to buy a backup solution from a other vendor.

Greetings

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can backup 2 additional servers with the SBE licence if you buy 2 additional RAWS licence.  However, you cannot backup any applications or databases on these 2 additional servers.

Sleepy179
Level 3

I'm completly confused now.

To bring some light in here: If I buy an additional Small Business Edition agent for Windows and an additional agent for Windows then I will be ably to backup all three servers? The SQL Agent, Exchange Agent, etc. are allready installed. That's right?

If I'm right now, the special thing on the Small Business edition of Backup exec is, that it will be possibly to backup three and not more servers (up to three)! That's right?

Greetings

Michael

Sleepy179
Level 3

This are the licence information about the SBS Version.

But what does "two remote servers" mean?

Greetings

Michael

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It is easier to visualise things if there are no VM's involved.  Suppose you have 3 physical machines.

Server1 - Windows SBE (Exchange, SQL Server, Sharepoint, etc) + BE SBE

Server2 - File Server

Server3 - File Server

When you buy a BE SBE licence, you can backup everything on Server1, including SQL, etc.  To backup Server2 and Server3, you need to buy 2 more RAWS licence.  This configuration is your 3 server.  The SQL licences, etc, is to backup the applications and databases on the OS SBE server, i.e., Server1.

Suppose you have SQL on Server2, to backup this SQL, you need to have an Agent for Applications and Databases licence.  The licencing scheme for BE SBE does not allow you to do this, hence you cannot backup the SQL on Server2.  You can only backup files on Server2.

Sleepy179
Level 3

OK, I understand that.

With my licence it will be possible zu backup my physical Server completly. I have the Hyper-V agent installed on that server. That server ist running die SBE of BackupExec.

Can I backup the two virtual machines from my physical mnachine with this configuration? Or do I need a second Agent vor Hyper-V, because I have two virtual machines?

Very complicated licence regulations!

Greetings

Michael

Colin_Weaver

I believe that to backup SQL on Server 2 you would buy the Small Business Agent for that server instead of the standard remote agent.

Again the licensing team can confirm this