cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licensing questions v12.0 to 2010

fjumayao
Level 3

We currently have Backup Exec 12.0, I would like to move to version 2010 due to requirements to support SQL 2008.  Backup 
Exec 12.0 does not support SQL 2008.  We have a maintenance contract and I've received the Version upgrade notification to version 2010.

I have several issues that I need clarification on.

1.  If I already have Remote agents for my existing Windows servers, will that carry over when I upgrade to 2010?  Assume I need one for each server.  If I don't have matching license count will backups not work properly for any new server I add to my network if I upgrade to 2010?

2.  I only have two 2003 Active directory Domain controllers.  When I did a License Assessment with the built-in tool, it's recommending that purchase Active directory recovery agent for what looks like every server on my network. Do I need this agent for all my servers or just my domain controller boxes? I assume this gives me a granular restore capability, but not required.  Any recommendations?

3.  Is there a way to list the servers that licensing tool detects for each of the various licenses it detects?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) After you upgraded to BE 2010, you would have to push out the remote agents again because the BE 2010 agents are different from those of BE 12.  BE 2010 cannot communicate with BE 12 agents.  You would have to have the correct number of remote agent licences to backup your remote servers properly.  This is regardless of which version of BE you are using.

2) You only need ADRA if you want to restore individual AD objects like userids or computernames.  If you don't need this capability, then you don't need to buy ADRA.  If you do decide to buy ADRA, then you can make do with one copy.  You restore the individual AD object to one DC and allow it to propagate to the other DC.  If you cannot wait for the AD propagation, then you buy 2 copies of ADRA.

3) No.  You would just have to count the number of licences that you have and match them to your servers. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) After you upgraded to BE 2010, you would have to push out the remote agents again because the BE 2010 agents are different from those of BE 12.  BE 2010 cannot communicate with BE 12 agents.  You would have to have the correct number of remote agent licences to backup your remote servers properly.  This is regardless of which version of BE you are using.

2) You only need ADRA if you want to restore individual AD objects like userids or computernames.  If you don't need this capability, then you don't need to buy ADRA.  If you do decide to buy ADRA, then you can make do with one copy.  You restore the individual AD object to one DC and allow it to propagate to the other DC.  If you cannot wait for the AD propagation, then you buy 2 copies of ADRA.

3) No.  You would just have to count the number of licences that you have and match them to your servers. 

fjumayao
Level 3

PKH,

Thank you so much for your reply.  I really appreciate it.  One more question if you dont' mind.  Is it true that AOF (advance open file option) is included free in BE 2010?  If so how come the assessement is showing as needing additional license for me.  Is it because I have version 12.0?

Aloha and Much Mahalo!

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

From 12.0 onwards AOFO is included in the Base Product License.

fjumayao
Level 3

Thank you for the prompt reply!!!

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Please mark PKH's post as solution

fjumayao
Level 3

Already did, thanks!