cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limit number of B2D jobs

Lasse_Edvardsen
Level 2
Hello all,

Is there any way to limit the number of backup-to-disk jobs running on a server? I know I can do this if I use a few backup-to-disk devices.

In my case my customer would like to have a seperate folder for each server. They have aprox. 20 servers to backup and it would kill the server to have these jobs go concurrently.

I know I can set the job schedule to start later, but it would be nice to have the backup window as small as possible.

Any ideas?
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
if you think the server could handle three concurrent jobs (or whatever number) divide the jobs into that many more or less equal streams, then use policies to start the second in a group when the first finishes, then third when the second finishes, etc

You will still need to manually make changes, should that become necessary, but this will minimise the quiet time between jobs on a routine basis

Lasse_Edvardsen
Level 2
Thanks for your reply.

I could use policies, but I can't get them to work with different selections (files and so on). Is this possible in Backup Exec?

There is no problem making policies with the same selections - like duplicating a backup to tape.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Hmm

Should be able to handle different jobs. haven't played much with policies lately, but you could always fall back to the old way.

use BEMCMD as a POST job to release the next job in line

Do a BEMCMD /? > BEMCMD.TXT or see http://support.veritas.com/docs/277181 to see all the switches availalbe