cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux VM backup on VMware 5.5 using Symantec 2014 backup Exec

mahi_nix
Level 3

Hello Friend,

I have VMware 5.5. host installed and working fine. I have created one Linux VM (AlienVault) with size of 1TB. I wanted to take snapshot backup of this VM using my Symantec backup exe 2014 software. I tried but fails. backup exec gives me below error message which trying to backup VM.

Job ended: Monday, May 11, 2015 at 3:18:12 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0009574 - Unable to create a snapshot of the virtual machine. The virtual machine no longer exists or may be too busy to quiesce to take the snapshot.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-38260

Can anyone suggest me how can i resolve this error and start backup of VM on Vmware.

Regards,

Mahi_nix

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mahi_nix
Level 3

Hello Guys,

I found the issue. The issue is with the VMware license. we dont have vStroage API license feature enabled in our VMware host server. due to that we were facing this issue.

After applying the VMware essencial Plus license key backup job started working.

Thanks for you assintance and support.

Thank you so much.

Regards,

Mahi_nix

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Check the BE 2014 SCL and make sure your version of Linux is actually supported:

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.tech217478.html

Thanks!

mahi_nix
Level 3

Hi CraigV

Thanks for your prompt reply.

My Linuce VM is AlienVault and VMware is 5.5 version. as i know VMware 5.5 is supported by Symantec exec 2014 but i cant see AlienVault Linux appliance in symantec SCL.

As VMware 5.5 supports by symantec then it should take snapshot of the VM which ever it is. i dont need GTR recovery. I only need snapshot backup of the VM.

can you pleae guide.

Regards,

Mahi_nix

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If the version of Linux is supported in the SCL, are you able to take a snapshot via the VI client itself ?

mahi_nix
Level 3

Hi VJware,

Alienvault is not listed in SCL of symantec but yes i can create snapshot of that VM using my VMware vSphere client.

Regards,

Mahi_nix

cnx_anup
Level 4

Follow below technote :

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH146397

CraigV

...the OP's version of Linux is supported and this is where the issue lies...

CraigV

...as per the SCL I provided, if it isn't supported you'll get very limited, or no, support.

Thanks!

cnx_anup
Level 4

Why does it matter if the Linux version is supported or not when we are doing only a .vmdk backup ? What is important is to make sure if VM tools are installed correctly. Try re-installing VM tools.

CraigV

Because, if it isn't listed as supported the chances are it may not work. Welcome to the OP's problem. The SCL and HCL pretty much layout what is, and isn't supported, and this is true of any company.

It's the same as trying to install an OS onto an HP server that isn't designed for it...it MAY work, chances are it WON'T, and would you want to put production workloads on something that isn't supported?

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If you are able to create & delete the snapshot manually (with memory option unchecked and quiesce option checked), then it may work via BE also.

This is just best-effort support and debugging would be easier for you to find out why the backup of this VM is failing. Setup a separate backup job for this VM only (the VM should have VM tools installed), disable AOFO and try a backup with debugging (using SGMon and do ensure VMware specific debugging is checked) enabled. Attach the logs over here.

mahi_nix
Level 3

Hi cnx_anup,

I checked VM license information and found that i dont have Vstorage API license add-in(plugin) in my VMware license. Please find my license information in below screenshot link.

http://screencast.com/t/rk9dzwhr

Hi VJware,

I checked VM snapshot with Quiesce option works fine manually.

I have single VM installed on ESXi host and i have scheduled backup for this VM. can you please elaborate AOFO and SGMon. We have VMware tools enabled.

Regards,

Mahi_nix

mahi_nix
Level 3

Hello Guys,

I found the issue. The issue is with the VMware license. we dont have vStroage API license feature enabled in our VMware host server. due to that we were facing this issue.

After applying the VMware essencial Plus license key backup job started working.

Thanks for you assintance and support.

Thank you so much.

Regards,

Mahi_nix