cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

List of restored files

imbisibol
Level 2

Does Backup Exec keep a list of restored files in its logs?  I have successful restore jobs, but I need to give proof to upper management that certain files and folders were successfully restored.  I can't just show the job log or job summary since these do not list what files were restored.  FYI, I redirect restoration so I have a staging area first before I actually move the restored files to the original location.  I noticed that the job log does show where the files were restored to, but as mentioned, the directory I restore to is just a holding area.

Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...the job log will have this. If not, increase the level of logging. Bear in mind this also increases the size of the catalogs generated.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you redirect the restore to an empty directory then the files in the directory are what is restored.  There is no perfect audit trail that you can present to your auditors because between the redirected directory and the actual directory, there are a lot of ways to manipulate the files.

If you do restore to the actual location, then I am not sure if the list of files in the restore job log will reflect the final result when options like "Skip if file exists" are selected.  I suspect that even when the file is skipped, the file is listed in the joblog because it is a file that would have been restored if there is no corresponding file on the disk.

That said, I think the only way you can satisfy your auditor is to have him sit with you throughout the restore process and even then it would be very onerous to verify each and every file restored, especially if there are a lot of files.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV

...the job log will have this. If not, increase the level of logging. Bear in mind this also increases the size of the catalogs generated.

Thanks!

imbisibol
Level 2

CraigV,

Thanks so much for that.  I did see the setting to do that under Options.  Too bad, there is no way to increase the level of logging just with restore jobs as I wouldn't need it with backup jobs.  Or I can turn it on/off each time I do a restore job, I guess.

Thanks again!

...i...

CraigV

You can do so, yes...but it is a manual job. Just do a test and make sure that it does what is expected.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you redirect the restore to an empty directory then the files in the directory are what is restored.  There is no perfect audit trail that you can present to your auditors because between the redirected directory and the actual directory, there are a lot of ways to manipulate the files.

If you do restore to the actual location, then I am not sure if the list of files in the restore job log will reflect the final result when options like "Skip if file exists" are selected.  I suspect that even when the file is skipped, the file is listed in the joblog because it is a file that would have been restored if there is no corresponding file on the disk.

That said, I think the only way you can satisfy your auditor is to have him sit with you throughout the restore process and even then it would be very onerous to verify each and every file restored, especially if there are a lot of files.