cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LiveUpdate installing Hotfixes without setting to automatically install

DCoglianese
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I have had 3 SBS 2008 Servers install Hotfixes this week even though I have set the LiveUpdate to only notify me of any updates (not to install them).  Today, I completely deselected the Feature to enable Automatic Updates and the server still installed the hotfix.

This causes a significant problem.  In one case, it stopped a backup because the services were recycled during the backup due to the hotfix application.

Today, these servers all installed a hotfix that requires a reboot.  The Backup Exec console won't run because of this (and I'm pretty sure the backups won't).  This forces us into an unplanned outage for the reboot.

One note.  These are SBS servers and are also running SEP.  I suspect that an old problem with LiveUpdate has resurfaced.  There was a time where LiveUpdates for SEP (or AV) installed patches in BE.

Has anyone seen this problem and is there a solution.  I can't afford to have servers forced to reboot simply because of a Symantec hotfix.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting or resolution would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

1 REPLY 1

sbora
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

From the description it seems that live update of SEP installed patches in BE as well. Use solution 1 in following technote to fix this issue:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH52744