cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local Backup to Fiber Tape Drvie

Mike_Pruett
Level 2
My company uses BE9.1 on a Windows 2000 SP4 file server to backup local drives & remote agents. The server is connected to an SAN, and the Tape Autoloader is connected via SAN. Our Servers are connected to a Gigabyte Switch for Remote Agent backups. Currently, our nightly backup is taking 12+ hours to backup our data (backup & verify). We are backing up a total of 250+GB, with at least 210 GB located on the local drives on the File Server.

I am not really sure why our backup is taking so long to complete. Reviewing the Job logs, its not an issue with the Remote Agents. (Average 800+MB per min), it seems like its an issue with the 210GB on the File Server. (Which is taking more than 6 hours itself, that dosen't include the verify.) Maybe this is just average, but I am not really sure why?

Equipment Specs:

- File Server -
HP Proliant DL380 G3
Single Xeon 2.8Ghz / 1GB RAM
HP Fiber Host Bus Adapter (FCA-221x)
Windows 2000 SP4 / Veritas BE 9.1

- SAN -
HP MSA 1000
Single Controller
HP StorageWorks 2/8V FC Switch (Brocade)

- Tape Library -
Overland NEO 2000
Single Tape Drive / HP LTO2 drive.
(Spec'd for 108GB/hour Native Transfer)

Any help would be appriecated.

Thanks,

Mike Pruett
1 REPLY 1

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hello Mike,

Please update your configuration by installing service pack 4a for version 9.1 build 4691. Please refer to the following link for the same:

VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers revision 4691 - Service Pack 4a - Includes Critical Security Update

http://support.veritas.com/docs/280008

After installing the service pack please reinstal all the agents and options.

Hope it helps!

==================

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.