cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local Sql Server doesn't show up in Selection List

Tony_Rasa
Level 3
Hi all,

I've got a machine with BE9.1 and the Sql Server Agent installed. This box has a local sqlserver that I'm trying to backup, but no sql server appears in the backup selection list.

I installed a remote agent on another machine with sqlserver, I can access that database just fine. What am I doing wrong?

The BEDB database is on this local sqlserver, perhaps that was a mistake?

Thanks
Tony Rasa
Blackfin
34 REPLIES 34

Rohit_Sonawale
Level 6
Certified
Hi,

Thank you for your question.

As a preliminery step we would suggest you to reinstall the Remote agent and verify the result.

Please refer to the following technoet to install Remote agent.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/253058

http://support.veritas.com/docs/265736

We hope this information helps, if you have any other questions please respond to the post and we will be more than happy to assist you further.

Tony_Rasa
Level 3
The SQLServer I'm trying to access is on the same (local) machine as the Backup Exec installation.

When I attempt to install the Remote Agent on the same machine, I am told that "Backup Exec is already installed on this machine." Apparently I cannot install a Remote Agent on the Backup Exec Server itself.

Thanks
Tony

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please note that you are not required to install Remote Agent on the Media server.

It appears that you are backing up two SQL databases. Please note that you would require two SQL licenses for the same.

NOTE: If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived

Tony_Rasa
Level 3
If I have to choose between the remote sql server and the local sql server, i'd much rather back up the local one. So how do I go about telling Backup Exec this?

I'm OK with just backing up one sqlserver, I just want a different one than BackupExec has chosen.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please stop the Remote Agent service on the remote SQL server and verify the results.

NOTE: If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Tony_Rasa
Level 3
Disabling the remote agent on the other machine did not make the local Sql Server installation visible. The problem still exists.

Thanks
Tony

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Are the SQL client utilites and/or SQL Admin installed on the media server, or is it just SQL server?

Did you stop/start BackupExec after disabling SQL on the remote machine

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Tony

On the media server - change the following registry key:-

HKLM\Software\Veritas\Backup Exec\Engine\NTFS\Restrict Anonymous Support to 1

Then restart all the BE services.
Check to see if you can now see the SQL server on the local machine.

Tony_Rasa
Level 3
Ok, this is what I've done today:

• Stopped the remote service on the other sqlserver. Restarted the Backup Exec media server. Now, I can't see either Sqlserver.

• Changed the Restrict Anonymous Support registry setting on the media server. Restarted BE. No change. Also stopped remote service on other server, restarted BE. Still no change.

• I changed the Restrict Anonymous Support registry setting on the remote server, but nothing changed.

So, still having problems. Any other suggestions I could try?

Thanks for your help,
Tony

Level 3
format c:\... No No just kidding... What OS is this and what service pack if this windows 2003 and sp1 there is some issues with sql.

Tony_Rasa
Level 3
The media server is Windows 2000, SP4. The database is SqlServer 2000 sp3.

Both the local sqlserver (the one that doesnt show up) and the remote sqlserver (that does show up) are listening on non-standard tcp/ip ports. The BackupExec engine is installed to the local database.

Tony

Level 3
I had the same configuration as you last year, i believe it had something to do with the SQL installation and maybe password for admin being blank... I try and do some searching my old notes.

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee
Your issue is not license related if you can see any SQL server icon. The Remote agent first checks for a SQL service running, then queries the registry to determine whether it is SQL 7 or 2000. We then try to connect to SQL to enumerate the instance. I would recommend opening the SQL Server Client Network Utility and making sure that both TCP/IP and Named Pipes protocols are listed in both in the general tab for both instances of SQL.

Tony_Rasa
Level 3
I've checked the network options on both the working remote sqlserver and the not-working local -- they are identical. Named Pipes & TCP/IP, although on a different port than 1433. The SA password on both of them is not 'blank'.

thanks,
Tony

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

1. Uninstall the remote agent on the remote SQL server.
2. Note the SQL Agent LIcense key. Remove the SQL agent License key from the Backup Exec server.
3. Recycle the backup exec services.
4. None of the SQL servers will be seen now.
5. Re- enter SQL license on the Backup exec machine.
4. You should be able to see the local SQL server in the backup selection list.

Write back with an update if this does not work for further steps.

"NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days,
this post would be 'assumed answered' and archived."

Tony_Rasa
Level 3
Hi,

I followed your instructions. Even after re-entering the Sql license on the backup exec machine, I cannot see the local SqlServer.

Tony

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please refer to the following technotes and verify results

(title) Microsoft SQL databases are grayed and cannot be selected in the backup selection list even though Backup Exec Agent for SQL is installed.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/262233

(title) A prompt for user credentials is repeatedly displayed when attempting to attach to the Microsoft SQL server to backup the databases.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/254240

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to the answered threads pool

Tony_Rasa
Level 3
Hi,

Neither of those articles described the problem that I'm having, BUT I took at look at what they're saying anyway:

1. I checked the registry key, it was already set to the correct value.

2. I changed the client library from TCP/IP to Named Pipes, didn't make any difference.

Thanks
Tony

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello Tony,

Does the problem regarding local SQL backup still persist? If so, you can additionally check if the following technote applies to your environment. If yes, you can make the necessary change and then verify the results.

Title: Microsoft SQL databases are grayed and cannot be selected in the backup selection list even though Backup Exec Agent for SQL is installed.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/262233

Hope this helps. Do update us at the forum in either case. In case we do not receive your update on this within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.