cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second Nightly Job Fails - Hardware Offline

billybish
Level 3
I have two nightly jobs - an Exchange backup and a file backup. The Exchange job kicks off fine and runs without error. An hour later, the file job kicks off, but at random times it is canceled. I get the notification that the job was canceled by "domain\user" (not the real name..) and in the alerts there is an alert that says the hardware is offline. If I run the job manually all is fine. If I do nothing, the Exchange job will run the next evening at it's regularly scheduled time without error, but the second job will cancel itself. What could be the cause? This was not happening until a few weeks ago. The Veritas install is fully patched (SP2 with all appropriate hotfixes) and the device drivers have been upgraded. The database maintenance runs well outside of the backup window.

What am I missing?
10 REPLIES 10

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Just for grins, try switching the order of the backups

You can also try deleting and re-creating the second job, along with it's associated selection list

billybish
Level 3
Thanks Ken. Actually, I think I already tried switching the jobs with the same results. I am going to try a combined job tonight and see what happens.

Incidentally, I noticed that whenever the event for the hardware going offline is logged, about 7 minutes prior there is an event that says:

Event Type:Information
Event Source:Backup Exec Catalog Server
Event Category:None
Event ID:34304
Date:3/29/2005
Time:4:12:41 AM
User:N/A
Computer:FILE
Description:
Catalog server (C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\bengine.exe) started.
Catalog directory is C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Catalogs\.
Remote catalog server is FILE.

Not sure if it is related. That same event is logged at other times randomly through the day, but it always seems to be paired up near the hardware offline message and the job cancelling.

billybish
Level 3
I tried a single combined job and got the same result - cancelled about 6 minutes after the event regarding the Catalog Server.

Does anybody from Veritas moderate in here??? Or is it just for show?

billybish
Level 3
Bump

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

-- Ensure that 'Enable automatic cancellation' is not selected.

-- Run 'sgmon.exe' utility which resides in C:\Program Files\Veritas\Backup Exec\NT folder before running the job.
Note: Sgmon will keep track of all events going on Backup Exec.
-- Run a test backup job with the same selection list.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be 'assumed answered' and archived.

billybish
Level 3
Nevermind I fixed it myself. Stopped the services, renamed the catalog file, restarted the services. It has been running fine ever since. No, automatic cancellation was not enabled.

Why is the support in this forum so...um...lacking? I bumped twice and then finally someone comes around weeks later?

Thanks anyway!

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

It appears from your last post that the problem is resolved. Hence marking this post as 'assumed answered'.

billybish
Level 3
My question was not answered.

Why is this support forum labled "Moderated" when it takes weeks to get a response from a Veritas representative?

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

We apologize for the delay in response.
- Please check if there are any active alerts.
- Also please the Audit log report and verify which user has cancelled the job.
- Also please check for event IDs 7, 9, 11, 15.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to the ‘answered
threads’ pool.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as assumed answered and moving it to answered questions pool.