cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locating Corrupt Emails with Ambiguous Text

SSLtd
Level 3

I have been troubleshooting our backups all day, and have narrowed down the "failures" to corrupt email messages.  I have seen this in the past, and have typically deleted the messages from the users' store, or excluded it from the scan.

That being said, I cannot even find these messages:

V-79-57344-65033 - Directory not found. Cannot backup directory Terminated User [tuser] and its subdirectories. WARNING: "\\Exch-Server\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes\䅁2372BE8FB1FB7C10F266C10A902A5094494EBCCED1402512" is a corrupt file. This file cannot verify. WARNING: "\\Exch-Server\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes\䅁430759EE5FD17C10C0FC118853B2AD745A81AC375B1B0C1D" is a corrupt file. This file cannot verify. WARNING: "\\Exch-Server\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes\䅁49872F5909257C10436FFCBC915093F40BD77374E79F69DF" is a corrupt file. This file cannot verify.

Curiously, the foreign characters in this text box do not appear as boxes, as they do in the job log.  In any case, I am not sure how to go about locating these files.

I have also changed the registry to not fail on corrupt files, but this seems to have no effect on the failure.  When excluding the exchange mailboxes, I get "Completed with exceptions."

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

1 Please let me know what is version of backup exec & exchange

2 Also have this ever worked

Thank You

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

If you make that registry change, none of your backups show as failed, and this could cause a problem when you need to restore data and cannot.

Have you updated BE 10d with all the available patches?

What you can also try do is to deselect the Exchange IS in your selection list and close it. Open it up again, and reselect the Exchange IS and see if you get that message again!

@itsmeaffinity: Check the tag under Filed Under: 10.x <-- that is the version of BE.

Laters!

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Refer the following document

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH91443

The Best option to resolve the issue and get your backups sucessful  is to upgrade to version 11 or higer so you can backup you exchange using the Granular restore technology . USing the GRt you just need to backup you IS and the backup of IS will allow you to restore individual mailbox or message.The Grt backup would backup the Exchange Db files in the Native format i.e edb ,stm etc so you have less chance of the backup failure . refer the following to know more on how GRt works http://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/understanding-grt-backup-and-restore-functionality-symantec...

SSLtd
Level 3

Sorry, have been away the past week.

Upgrading is in my wishes, not sure if it will happen soon enough, however.

We are currently on 10.1d r. 5629

When I took over, there were many errors, due to corrupt messages in email.  I have since found and deleted all but the three with foreign characters.  I am just having some trouble locating them, as it is pretty ambiguous.

I have tried creating new jobs from scratch, with the same result.  I know what is causing the failure, and it doesn't prevent the rest of the backup from running.  Just getting sick of seeing failed.

Thanks again!