cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looks like a diff backup of the dedupe folder backs up the whole thing

macpiano
Level 6

I did a full backup of the dedupe folder using Shadow Copy and as I am running a differential of the same folder it is backing up the whole thing. My dedupe folder is 2 TB so backing up 2 TB everyday is going to eat up my 800 gig LTO4 tapes. I have 30 tapes so 15 days later I'm hosed.

What are my options? Keep data for only a couple days then they can be rewritten over as this is only for DR. I already have the data on 2 dedupe folders.

Setup is Building A has the first dedupe folder. Those jobs are duplicated to Building B's dedupe folder. Building B's tape drive shadow copies the dedupe folder in Building B.

4 REPLIES 4

teiva-boy
Level 6

Since there is a daily maintenance job that happens on the dedupe files, all of the files get touched..  My guess is that this is normal.  If you have two copies of the data, you should save the 3rd DR copy for less often off-site copies like weekly, or even monthly.  It's DR, meant for complete recovery and a RPO of near zero is really not BE's forte.  

macpiano
Level 6

I decided to create media on a 4 day cycle. It can backup everyday as far I care and when it runs out of overwritable media it will just recycle them. If I did it on a monthly basis it would kind of defeat even doing it. I had so much trouble trying to get it to do what I want which was backup to dedupe, duplicate to other dedupe, then to tape I'm gong to wait until they get it straightened out. I have the backup to dedupe and duplicating that job across the WAN to the other dedupe that I feel pretty secure.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

When you take a backup of Shadow Copy Component, its always a Full backup. You can not perform a Differential / Incremental backup of Shadow Copy Component.Even if you select the option of Incr/ Diff backup still it will be Full backup. This is by design from Microsoft as well as Backup Exec.

So as DeDupe folder is backed up from under Shadow Copy Component, the backup of DeDupe folder will also be always Full.

Thanks,

-Sush...

macpiano
Level 6

@Sush...

What about my scenario of using a 4 day time limit on the job itself? It would only use about 8 of my 30 tapes for this. If we had a disaster basically both dedupe folders would have to hosed in 2 buildings to even have to consider DR.

I just need a little extra insurance in case the server room blew up etc.