cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Perfromance on VMDK restore from Tape

BE_Admin_Mario
Level 2

We have several BE 2010 R2 installation and all have the same problem.

When we try to restore a VMDK Snapshot from tape we have a very very low performance off 33MB/min.

When we restore the same VMDK from Disk we have around 3000MB/min.

The Backup and duplicate speed to Disk and Tape is also very good 4000MB/min and 7000 MB/min

When we restore the VMDK Snapshot from Tape onto a BE Server share the speed is also good.

We only have this poor perfromance when we try to restore the VMDK directly into the ESXi.

Any ideas?

BTW. All Backup Exec server in all locations have exactly the same speed of 33MB/min. It`s not 30MB or maybe 35MB. It is always exactly 33MB/min.

Kind regards,

Mario

4 REPLIES 4

BE_Admin_Mario
Level 2

Noone any recommendation?

Symantec support told us that 15 hours for a 30GB snapshot restore direclty into ESXi 4.1 from tape is normal.

I don`t want to believe this.

Kind regards,

Mario

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...escalated to support for you!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Slow(ish) restores from tape compared with the backup performance is normal - although your figures do seem to be a little extreme.

Note: if you are doing SAN mode restores via the Vcenter and see Clear Lazy Zero messages in the Vi/vSphere Client duirng the restore then this does affect performance (which is one of the reasons why NBD is listed first for restores, but SAN is listed first for backups)

I would suggest you upgrade to Backup Exec 2010 R3 when it is released as it makes use of the latest VMware VDDK and apparently does have some performance benefits over the reaults seen with both 2010 and 2010 R2.

ipguy
Level 4

i'm experiancing the same issue, 30 to 40 MB/min, no matter what i try, i can only achieve 30 to 40MB/min

curious as to why symantec doesn't highlight this in there marketing material.