cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMware Agent fails on backup up through Vcenter

scav0r
Not applicable

Hi,

I have an issue that when I try backup through Vcenter, I get a error : E0009585 - V-79-57344-38277 - Unable to open a disk of the virtual machine.

VixDiskLib_Open() reported the error: You do not have access rights to this file
V-79-57344-38277 - Unable to open a disk of the virtual machine.

VixDiskLib_Open() reported the error: You do not have access rights to this file

I have checked that I can log on with the credentials at both the Vcenter and the individual ESXi 4.1 servers

If I try to backup a VM on a ESXi directly it works perfect, but not through VCenter, any ideas?

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Typically direct to ESX you would use a Linux/Unix based account (root for instance) and when using t a vCenter you would use a Windows based account that is then associated with the roles inside ESX.

This Windows based account (at least for initial troubleshooting) should be an ESX admin at the top level of the ESX security tree and additionally must be a Local (Windows) Admin over the vCenter server itself.

Sublaner
Level 4

Same error, ESX 4.0 servers. Backups are through vCenter, failure occurrs inconsistently/intermittently. BE Service account NOT added explicitly as a "top level ESX Admin" but I'll give that a try, thanks. I just started following up on a correlation with uncommitted snapshots, result of VSS not finishig gracefully.