cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAJOR DOMAIN CONTROLLER RESTORE PROBLEMS IN BACKUP EXEC 10D

Farayi_Nzenza
Level 2
I have been having major problems when attempting to restore the domain controller system state on a testbed server. I am not using IDR or CPS server, just the standard backup exec 10d. I have been through the knowledge base and followed the instructions word for word. The first one I followed was this one http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/236240.htm . Interestingly it does not mention that the server needs to be started in directory services restore mode. So when I follow the instructions in the original article word for word the restore operation fails because it says that to restore a domian controller the system must be started in directory services restore mode. I then go ahead to restart the system and put it into directory services restore mode, choose all the options highlighted but then the error in the job log says: "Unable to attach to a resource . Make sure all selected resources exist and are online and try again". I have checked the obvious things e.g tape drive connected and the correct dat 72 tape is in. But it still errors out. I then had a look on this forum to see if people had similar problems and I found the post with the thread id 61275 with the heading "serious problem restoring system" by Mike Wilson. I looked at the answer provided by the veritas employee - which was document id 23661. I tried that and the latest error that comes out is the "Unable to attach to resource..." error that I mentioned earlier. Besides the fact that non of these solutions actually work, they both speak of a domain controller restore with only a few slight differences? This is disconcerting because it begs the question of where should people look for the right answer(s) to their problems with veritas\symantec products and which one would be the correct answer? This thread is intended to be a question followed by expressing concern over these two similar articles (both of which do not work) symantec\veritas employees are more than welcome to attempt to help me, as well as anyone else who has been experiencing the same problems.
2 REPLIES 2

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
When in Directory Services Restore mode, you need to change the BackupExec account to reflect the DSRM Administrator username and password.
Before starting the restore, check the logon credentials in the restore properties dialogue.

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Refer this technote:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/258296

This error occurs, if while restoring the Computer some setting have been changed.Please check if you are following these steps:
1:Restore the data and the system state.
2:Now reboot the computer, but before going into the GUI press the F8 or which ever is applicable key so the you enter the "Set Up".Select the "Directory Services Restore Mode ".
3:Restore the System state "Directory Services Restore Mode".

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.