cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDAC Error when installing BEWS 12

Steve_Partridge
Level 2

I receive the following error immediately after the environment check when installing BEWS 12:

“Setup cannot find the required version of Microsoft Data Access Component (MDAC) on server.

You must install MDAC 2.8 or later before you can install BackupExec. When you install MDAC, choose the same language as the operating system.”

The environment check states that the correct version of MDAC is installed.

I've tried running the MDAC 2.8 installer again, but it completes without performing any tasks (which indicates to me that there is nothing to repair).

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

- Steve Partridge

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Steve_Partridge
Level 2

Thanks for the response Nick. Our retailer was finally able to put me in touch wtih Symantec's Phone support. After some discussions they came to the conclusion that the downloadable MDAC 2.8 installer was not installing correctly. They ahd me perform the following steps to help fix the issue.

Browse to C:\windows\inf

Look for  mdac.inf

Right-click->install

This reinstalled MDAC as it should have been setup initially. Once this was completed the install went smoothly.

- Steve

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Nick_Elmer
Level 6
Employee

Steve,

The installer is obviously having a problem verifying the version of MDAC installed on your system. There could be a problem reading information from the registry, or in verifying file version information on your system. Can you look in C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Ole DB\msdat13.dll and oledb32.dll, what are the versions of these two files?

Steve_Partridge
Level 2

Thanks for the response Nick. Our retailer was finally able to put me in touch wtih Symantec's Phone support. After some discussions they came to the conclusion that the downloadable MDAC 2.8 installer was not installing correctly. They ahd me perform the following steps to help fix the issue.

Browse to C:\windows\inf

Look for  mdac.inf

Right-click->install

This reinstalled MDAC as it should have been setup initially. Once this was completed the install went smoothly.

- Steve