cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MIgrating data from Windows 2003 File Server to Netapp

acecanho
Not applicable

We have here a brand new Netapp fas2240 where we need to migrate the old file servers data.

Our backup software is a BE12.5

When I try to restore the data from tape I receive the following message.

Job name            : Restore 00394Job type            : RestoreJob status          : FailedJob log             : C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEX_BRSPFPS003_03432.xmlServer name         : BRSPFPS003Selection list name : Restore 00394
Device name         : Target name         : HP 2Media set name      : 
Error category    : Job ErrorsError             : e00084af - The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed.
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33967

Any idea?
I install the NDMP agent but it refuses connection with root or any other user.

If I make a backup of Netapp and a restore, everything is OK. This error only occurs within Windows and Netapp

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Not possible...check the Limitations section in the TN below for further information.

You might have to restore to your Windows server and then manualy move the data across.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH64933

Thanks!

View solution in original post

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You cannot restore backed up Windows data to an NDMP device or backed up NDMP data to a Windows device the restores have to go back to the same type of device.

What you can do is open a share on the NDMP device and disable NDMP and then do a share level restore, although if the original source server is stil available it might be simpler to just open a share and copy the files using any kind of file system tools.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Not possible...check the Limitations section in the TN below for further information.

You might have to restore to your Windows server and then manualy move the data across.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH64933

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You cannot restore backed up Windows data to an NDMP device or backed up NDMP data to a Windows device the restores have to go back to the same type of device.

What you can do is open a share on the NDMP device and disable NDMP and then do a share level restore, although if the original source server is stil available it might be simpler to just open a share and copy the files using any kind of file system tools.

teiva-boy
Level 6

NetApp provides tools for this!  As well as solid documentation.  Using a restore from a backup is usually not even an option when talking to a NAS/SAN vendor since they have migration tools available to customers.