cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS loses connection with CASO server

ed_smith
Level 3
I am testing CASO with one CASO server and 5 MMS servers in various locations.   When the MMS loses network connection all jobs on the MMS serer stop and the BE GUI locks.  When network conneciton is restored the jobs restart or the GUI becomes active.  Am running BE12.5 with sp2 plus patches.  The jobs stop within 10 seconds of loosing contact the CASO server and give a Database conneciton error.  I am running distributed for the database settings.  I am on a large network monitoring bacup servers in various countries.  If this is the normal activity of CASO then using the management GUI and logging into the servers to check the backup status is preferred to a product that shuts down backup.

tks

ed
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
I tried CASO, and although it's a really good product, having sites in Africa and remote locations in Asia meant this wasn't working well, and I uninstalled it.
What's happening here is probably exactly what's happening with me...slow links.
What I did was set up all the servers to be distributed. They kept control of their own databases and media set information (hardware too), and simply reported back to the CASO server with job status. In theory, great idea. In practice, although I set it up as such, my CASO server STILL grabbed the details I wanted kept locally for itself on the majority of servers! Leading to failed backups, jobs not running etc.
If you still want to use it, I would recommend the following:

1. Open up BEutility.exe, and go to your server. You can right-click it and choose to localise all your data (database/media informatione etc). let it run. if it gives you an error, go to #2...
2. Go into Media Servers on your CASO server, right-click your server, and choose the option to keep your data on your remote server. This will push the information back again. If this doesn't work...
3. Remove your server from the CASO, and readd it, making sure that you select the option to keep details local.

Like I said, nice in theory, but in practice it became a nightmare. Took me 1.5 weeks to get 34 sites working again after I pulled it out, and I still have legacy information doing the rounds.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
I tried CASO, and although it's a really good product, having sites in Africa and remote locations in Asia meant this wasn't working well, and I uninstalled it.
What's happening here is probably exactly what's happening with me...slow links.
What I did was set up all the servers to be distributed. They kept control of their own databases and media set information (hardware too), and simply reported back to the CASO server with job status. In theory, great idea. In practice, although I set it up as such, my CASO server STILL grabbed the details I wanted kept locally for itself on the majority of servers! Leading to failed backups, jobs not running etc.
If you still want to use it, I would recommend the following:

1. Open up BEutility.exe, and go to your server. You can right-click it and choose to localise all your data (database/media informatione etc). let it run. if it gives you an error, go to #2...
2. Go into Media Servers on your CASO server, right-click your server, and choose the option to keep your data on your remote server. This will push the information back again. If this doesn't work...
3. Remove your server from the CASO, and readd it, making sure that you select the option to keep details local.

Like I said, nice in theory, but in practice it became a nightmare. Took me 1.5 weeks to get 34 sites working again after I pulled it out, and I still have legacy information doing the rounds.

ed_smith
Level 3

Did what Craig suggessted and put the Device and Media DB on the local Managed server.  Am continuing testing after that got it working.  Now at least I can unplug the CASO server and all of the jobs will coninue to run on the remote server. 

CraigV

Let me know if this works or not. Good luck!

PS: Just to add to that: when I removed my servers from CASO and decommissioned it, all my jobs started running again.

CraigV
Hi,

Did you come right with this one?

CraigV
Come right with this?

CraigV
Ed: Try setting your connection speed to a default of Slow Connection. We're reimplementing CASO in our environment, and using this option we have yet to have a server lose connection!

CraigV
Ed: Have you come right with this one?