cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSSQL$BKUPEXEC no longer exists. How to get back?

Techboy
Level 2
Hello everyone! Someone installed some 3rd party software on our server and, whether by accident or by design, blew away the MSSQL$BKUPEXEC instance. How do we get this back? I've tried attaching the BEDB_DAT and BE_DLO databases in the SQL 2005 instance \MICROSOFT##SSEE (has wsus db), but, no joy. I can't get backup exec to "see" it. I have tried using BEUTILITY's "New Backup Exec Database Location" but it fails with "Operation to change location of Backup Exec database to SQL Server instance 䓠ࢷ䔐ࢷࣁ奀ࢷ姰ࢷ%*.*f ended with errors." Obviously since BKUPEXEC no longer exists

Any help would be appreciated!
2 REPLIES 2

jwcooper
Level 4
I'm not positive of a way to hard set (without having a current db) a new db location.

However, you should be able to setup a new sql 2005 instance named BKUPEXEC and then load the db into it.  This may or may not work.  IIRC I did this once upon a time when an sql instance got blown away by accident.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You could do a Repair Install, followed by a reinstallation of the latest Servce pack

then use BEUTIL to reload the lastest BEDB.BAK file  to restore all your sitie info