cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mailbox Backup/Overwrite

EP
Level 2
I have seven backup jobs that each run once a week.  They are essentially the same -- complete backup that overwrite the previous job -- but each day of th week has its own disk location.  Each day then goes to tape (and offsite)  The end result is that I have a week's worth of daily backups on disk.

I have recently enabled the restore of individual mailboxes.  The problem I see is that I have the backup job for the server getting overwritten (as expected), but there is a folder created now (called IMGXXXXXX where XXXXX are digits) that was not in play before.  Each week a new folder is created, but the old folder is not overwritten.

This scenario really monkeys with the ability to:
1.  Drop the data to tape since I am backing up multiple weeks worth of data -- tape capacity will be an issue; and
2.  Maintain disk storage capacity...multiple backups of Exchange DBs really consumed disk space.

Obviously, the jobs are set to overwrite and not append.  All other jobs work just fine as well.  Only the Exchange backup is a problem and only when I opted to consolidate the mailbox backup with the complete server backup.

How do I get BE to overwrite the previous week's data?
2 REPLIES 2

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Hi,

I would suggest taking a look at this technote:

It explains how to resolve the issues you are seeing.

Hope this helps.
Patty

EP
Level 2
Since I have 5 jobs running simultaneously, it may not be the Exchange backup that see the low space condition.  By reading the document and the sugegsted link, am I to assume that there is no way to set the data to be overwritten?