cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mailbox Store "Access is Denied"

Woody_Anderson
Level 3
Can you restore the Mail Store even if you get this message when you back it up?

Backup- \\Server\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group V-79-57344-33928 - Access is denied.
Access denied to database Mailbox Store (servername).

In the log (see below) it shows that the file was backed up despite the error...but if I need to restore it, am I going to have problems?

Backed up 2 Exchange Server stores
Backed up 1 Exchange Server logs
Processed 4,871,848,658 bytes in 5 minutes and 47 seconds.
Throughput rate: 803 MB/min
Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

The most like causes of these errors are:

1) Anti-virus software accessing the Information Store at the same time as the backup, i.e. using the same Messaging API as Backup Exec does.(It is then recommended to stop Anti-virus software services when backing up the mailboxes).

2) Multiple levels of embedded mail messages (a message attached to a message attached to a message etc)

3) Automated system messages (undeliverable, over size limit etc.)

4) The message / attachment is really (can't open, view or execute)

5) Virus infected Information store (clean for virus)

6) Very long subject lines

7) Very long attachment names

8) Very large attachments (might give out of resource like errors)

It is possible that these messages are actually corrupt or virus infected and have been Quarantined by your Anti-Virus.

For successfull backups, you will have to delete these messages from the USer mailboxes or deselect them from under backup exec selections

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Woody_Anderson
Level 3
Sharvari,

Thanks for your reply. I get this same message whether I back up the individual mailboxes or only the Information Store. In the event log, I get -1018 checksum errors during the backup. From what I've read so far is that I need to restore the Information store and use the saved log files to roll the database forward. I have a good backup of the store from about 2 weeks ago, but when it was backed up, I got an Access is Denied message in the log...so I'm wondering if it will restore or not. Does that make sense?
Thanks.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

We do not recommend this.Please take a backup without errors and then run the restore.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Woody_Anderson
Level 3
Hi...

That would be nice, but the only "good" backup I have is one of the information store that I got an access is denied error during the backup. All my other tapes have a corrupt information store on them. But if I catalog the good tape and look at the restore selections, the Information Store is available with no indication that there will be a problem if I actually restore it. I haven't tried restoring it yet, but is it going to error out on me if I restore from that one?
By the way, I'm still getting the access is denied messages on the information store backup. I created another account and gave it Exchange Full Admin, Domain Admin & Administrator rights...but still getting access is denied. Frustrating.
Thanks,
Woody