cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tapes chaning media sets

Joshua_Hill
Not applicable
Hi,

I have a nightly backup running of about 160gb to an LTO drive. I have a media set assigned for this backup. The overwrite and append times are short for the media set, but every night the backup runs it appears to ignore the avaliable tape in the media set and grab another tape from a different media set move this to the assigned media set and start backing up. Is there any way to restrict this behaviour?

Thanks

Josh
5 REPLIES 5

jeff_miller_5
Level 2
Hi Josh i'm trying to do the same thing with the policies. I run chained jobs that can only use certain media, or overwrite the media it has. I'm still learning these but they are pretty handy. I can't wait till i get better with them. We don't use overwrite protection either. Good Luck with that.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

What is the Overwrite protection period and the append period for the media set in question? What option have you chosen for the nightly job? Is it overwite or append? Do also check from the tab tools-options- media management and check the default setting for your media sets as well as the overwrite options. Based on all these factors, backup exec chooses a media.

Refer to the following technotes for more information on how backup exec picks media for backup:

Title: The basics of Advanced Device and Media Management for Backup Exec for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/192265

Title: An explanation of the "Overwrite Protection Period" and the "Append Period"
http://support.veritas.com/docs/237374

Hope this answers your question. In case of any more queries or problems on this issue, do write back to the forum. Howeve rif we do not receive your update within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Have you set the option to use overwritable media in the target media set before scratch media (Tools\Options\Media Mangement, I think)?

IF you don't set this, the default behavior is to grab the "oldest" overwritable tape that can be found regardless of what media set it may belong to (oldest meaning in scratch status longes)

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

In reference to our previous reply to your post, we would request you to update us on the progress.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Peter_Caton
Level 3
I am having the exact same problem described here. I have an autoloader that serves various backup jobs. I have created various Media Sets and placed the tapes into the set that I want a specific backup job to use. Oddly enough, the backup jobs use ANY media, and then move media from one Media Set into another....

In your post you said that I need to change the option "to use overwritable media in the target media before scratch media."

Unfortunately, I don't have this options under Tools -> Options -> Media Management.

Instead, I have

1)Overwrite scratch media before overwriting recycled media in the targeted media set.

2) Overwrite recyclable media contained in the targeted media set before overwriting scratch media.

#2 is the one checked. Should I select #1 to resolve this issue? If not, what other setting needs to be made to successfully get a backup job to use tapes in the Media Set I specify?