cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mailboxes, information store, exchange, public folders etc

Smiley_Mak
Level 4
Hi,

I am at a lost as to what to backup. Assuming the following are done independently.

1. If I want to have whole exchange backup, do I just back up the first information store. Do I need to backup anything else in case of any disaster occur.

2. With 1, I assume, I cannot restore individual mailbox. If I want to be able to restore individual mailbox, I have to backup the mailboxes, anything else that I needed to backup to enable the restore ?

3. I assuming the public folders are only individual folders and I would just back it up as normal data and would restore as normal data. Do I need anything else in case to have a workable server running in case of disaster.

4. What role does the shadow volume and system info plays in case of restore ?

Many thanks in advance

1 REPLY 1

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

Smiley Mak wrote:
1. If I want to have whole exchange backup, do I just back up the first information store. Do I need to backup anything else in case of any disaster occur.

An Information Store backup is what you need for disaster recovery. You should also have a backup of Active Directory.
2. With 1, I assume, I cannot restore individual mailbox. If I want to be able to restore individual mailbox, I have to backup the mailboxes, anything else that I needed to backup to enable the restore ?
If you select the "Enable restore of individual items" option then you can restore mailboxes and their contents. Note that there are several things to be aware of with this (such as you should backup to disk if possible, and the backup IMG files may not work as you expect).
3. I assuming the public folders are only individual folders and I would just back it up as normal data and would restore as normal data. Do I need anything else in case to have a workable server running in case of disaster.
If you backup the Information Store you'll have your public folders too.
4. What role does the shadow volume and system info plays in case of restore ?
None, they are part of the local server's resources, rather than being specific to the Exchange data.