Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major Backup Exec 12.5 hassles

marcanthony
Level 2
Partner
I do hope someone can help me with the following:
about 2 (two) weeks ago I had to restart our SBS 2003 server for an update install. Please NOTE!!!!! THE UPDATE THAT WAS INSTALLED IS NOT RELEVANT TO THE PROBLEM!!! Let me be clear on that.
Since the restart, ALL of my DLO Agents are showing working offline. I have reinstalled all of them, but to no avail.
What is the problem here??? Why is the DLO Server/ Agent connection so touchy??? Why is there NO simple connection tester built into either the DLO server or Agent????
Surely Symantec's software developers could have thought of that??
If ANYONE could shed some light on this issue I would be most appreciative as no solution I have found to date has worked.

Regards,
Mark de Wet.
8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

Was this a Windows update, or a Symantec update? Have you looked at pushing out the DLO client again to the DLO PCs/laptops etc in case your originaly update included 1 for DLO?

Laters!

marcanthony
Level 2
Partner
With all due respect, did you read my post? the update was a windows update but it is IRRELEVANT. Also, as I said previously, I REINSTALLED DLO numerous times, but to no avail. There is no push install.

phartman
Level 4
I have had that issue.  With one pc, it was fixed with a simple uninstall/install of the DLO agent.  Another was fixed with a reboot of the agent desktop, and in one instance, I had to uninstall the agent, reboot the pc, install the agent, reboot the pc, and then it worked.   I also had one pc which I had to delete the computer account in DLO and restart the agent on the pc for it to reconnect.  In one instance I had to stop backup exec services then start them again (performing a restart did not work).

Don't know if any of these will resolve your issues, but I sure hope it does.

meonfloor
Level 2
Partner

what kind of update did you install?
read this: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-12-dlo-desktop-agent-ver-313386801-compat...
this is just because update SP2 for office 2007, but sometimes the update is not compatible with Symantec, but then again, Symantec will release hot fix to resolve the issue.

contact the symantec technician nearby or your symantec representative for further escalation.

cmiiw

meon,

teiva-boy
Level 6
 Just because you installed a Windows update, you can't assume that it wont break something else, like your issue..  Microsoft makes updates to fix their issues, but at the expense of 3rd parties perhaps not being compatible with the update...

You should roll back the update and see if that makes a difference.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Chill...sometimes Windows updates do cause issues with other software, and sometimes it's best to re-ask what you might see as an obvious question.

marcanthony
Level 2
Partner
Good day all,
Ok, first, thanks to all for all the assistance and tips. Next, lets clear up a couple of points:
1: The update that was installed was a security update for IE8. I cannot see that it would have ANY effect on BEWS.
2: this is for teiva-boy, it is not possible to do a rollback as this is a critical server and downtime is to be kept to a minimum.
3: As an aside, it just seems that Backup Exec is a very unstable program as I have had multiple issues since I have installed it,both on our server AND on clients servers. In  fact, the ONLY client who has not had ONE day's problem, is the one who is NOT using Exchange 2003, which makes me think that BEWS is STILL not that compatible with Exchange which is sad considering that the Veritas version was brilliant. It makes one wonder how Symantec could have taken a winning system and broken it.

In any event, my thanks to phatman who put me on the right track: delete the users, assignments etc in the DLO server, set it up from scratch AGAIN and reconnect and it is now working. But again, why should I HAVE to do that??? It SHOULD be a simple install, set up and forget, like the Veritas version was. But its not and I am thinking of looking for a different backup option for my existing and new clients as this is unacceptable..

Thanks to all who assisted,
Regards,
M.A. de Wet

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
Security updates have the potential to block access to 3rd party products. Also components of Backup Exec and DLO can make use of components of Internet Explorer - especially as internet explorer is heavily tied into the operating system.

If you do have a suspected compatibility issue of this nature you should create a technical support case (as has been suggested by another poster) to get the issue escalated and fully researched.