cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major DFSR Restore Problems

CraigF
Level 3
I learned long ago to do away with the DFSR shadow copy utility built into BackupExec.  However, I am in a situation where I have to restore from one of these backups from some time ago.

Here is the problem.  When I do this DFSR restore, the restore appears to complete sucessfully.  However, after about 5 minutes I get notified via the Event Log that this server is now "waiting for initial replication."  Basically, BackupExec has somehow put this server back into initial replication mode after the restore.  This is denoted by Event ID 4102, which states the server has initialzed this new folder.

This is all very bad.  #1 the server does not participate in replicaiton until it has completely re-initialized the entire replicated folder.  If, for some reason, this server now thinks its a primary member, it will take all the other data on the other servers replicated folder and move it to the preexisting folder.  It creates tons of network traffic, and now we have a version problem.  Its more like a version hell, not a version problem.

I did try to redirect my restore to a NON DFS share, but that doesnt work.  I guess there are major limitations to this type of backup/restore.

What the heck am I doing wrong, and why does this software keep putting my server back into this mode, after every single DFSR restore.  I am dumbfounded.  Every time this happens, we have data lost, version issues and very frusterated people.

Thanks for any insight.
1 REPLY 1

CraigF
Level 3