cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manually uninstall BE 10 ?

MArc_Laracuente
Level 4
How can I manually uninstall BE 10? The install is corrupted adn I get internal error when trying to repai or remove. I cleared all the usual registry keys but the install still detects BE10 already installed adn wont allow me to do a fresh install
9 REPLIES 9

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Did you also delete the \Program files\Veritas\BackupExec tree?

MArc_Laracuente
Level 4
of course.

I also all the usual keys in the registry. The onlytraces left of Veriats in the resgitry is under the sub Installer keys where there seem to be hundreds adn i got tired of hitting delted,F3. Delete.F3.etc

I was hoping there was some sort of veritas removal tool or registry cleaner out there for cases liek this.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please specify the exact error message so that we can help troubleshoot it.

However for steps on manual installation, please call SYMANTEC support.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

MArc_Laracuente
Level 4
The install is corrupted. I get windows internal errors when trying to start or remove any BE related stuff.

I just need to know how to clean all traces of Veritas Backup exec from the server so I can start fresh. I cannto run the uninstall or repair through BE. I will get internal or fatal errors.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

If you are unable to remove the software using Add/Remove Programs, try using MSI cleanup utility to uninstall Backup Exec. However if you wish to manually uninstall Backup Exec, you will need to call SYMANTEC support as this procedure cannot be explained on Forum due to its complexity.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

steve_burkett
Level 4
Alex Scoble has a write up (supposedly from Veritas Tech Support) on how to remove v9. It's remarkably similar to v10, and I have successfully removed v10 manually using these instructions after the Backup Exec Uninstaller refused to believe that the product was installed...

Try:

http://itmanager.blogs.com/notes/2005/04/how_to_manually.html

Thanks for the page Alex!!

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hello,

Please let us know if you were able to remove the software using MSI cleanup utility as mentioned in the earlier post .

If not, then you will need to call SYMANTEC support as this procedure cannot be explained on Forum due to its complexity.

==============================

Additional Information :

MArc_Laracuente
Level 4
The MSI cleanup utility did not work. Not sure if it did anything at all actually.

MArc_Laracuente
Level 4
Steve,

That write up by Alex did the trick !!!!
I was then able to do a fresh install of BE10 adn all of running fine.

Thanks