cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum size of backup-to-disk files change randomly, please help

Edward_Charles
Level 6
I've set the max size for the removable backup-to-disk device to 25GB but when I look at the SATA drive it has backed up to they are sometimes only the default 1GB but even that is not consistant at all.
The size varies from 53,449KB to the 1,048,585KB for example but not the 25GB.

We've also have problems that the backup fails because it cannot overwrite the BKF files even though it's set to. Can this be related maybe?

Any suggestions of why this could happen would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Paul
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Don't know about hte changing file sizes, but for the Overwrite problem

What is the OPP (Overwrite Protection Period) for the media set(s) that the BKF Files belong to?  Were any of the jobs APPEND?  (Append extends the overwrite period based on the time that the Append job finishes)

Edward_Charles
Level 6
Thanks Ken,

The OPP is set to None since we need it to overwrite since we use Hotswap SATA drives to take offsite daily and we just want it to overwrite always whatever is on the drive.
Append period is: Infinite - Allow Append (both of these settings are the default I believe, but might need to be changed?)
This whole overwrite things is very complex I find and don't fully understand it since there are like in 4 different places configuration changes you have to make to change anything regarding overwriting. We just need it to simply always overwrite anything from either the Removable backup-to-disk Devices or folders backup-to-disk folders.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

Regards,

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you are absolutely certain that you want to write to whatever drive is connected (even if it's last night's drive that was never swapped out

Go to Tools\Media Management and select None as opposed to Partial or Full  Also select "Do Not Prompt when overwriting ..."  or whatever the wording is

With these set, BackupExec SHOULD  do what you want

Personally, if the drives are big enough for more that one backup, I'd set media set OPP to 24 hrs, and the Global management to "Partial".  That way if you (or your vacation replacement) forgets to swap drives, you still have at least two days of backups