cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR errors on a DC

ANONYM0US
Level 4

We are testing BESR with our DC's and some things popped up that we cannot find answers to.

While trying to restore the image, we received the following error:

Error E7C30010 Device \\.\... cannot write 63 sectors starting at LBA 63. Error 00000005. Access Denied

I have been unable to find any reference to this error in the KB or on the support forums.

Also

After getting two DC's up and running on a test network, we was able to login to the domain so the basic functionality was there.

However, after logging in on a pc, we noticed that when we tried to get a DIR listing from a cmd prompt, we would get the following:

"Not enough server storage is available to process this command"

This happens when he uses a DFS share to access the directory, but not when using a UNC path.

We researched it a bit and found the procedure to clear the error, following this recommendation;

>>You can increase the IRPStackSize value. You must first add this value to the following key if it is not already present:

>>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

>>SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

>>Value Name: IRPStackSize

>>Data Type: DWORD

>>Default: 0x4

>>Maximum: 0xC

Creating the key and setting the value to 4 worked for one server, we had to set the value to 48 for the other DC and the laptop he was logging in on. If the key does not exist, the system should default to a value of 4, which is generally sufficient.

We are concerned because the key did not exist on either of the source servers and we never received this error before restoring to the target servers. Also the MS support site (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/177078) mentions that this could be related to Symantec AV software, but the links are out of date.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/552ba2f7636bedf088256818006f78bf/b169373034dbf...

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/9d94c8571a91ba4788256bf3007f62b5/1b2df18cc3f5d...

And finally, now when rebooting the server, it randomly decides that there is "No Operating System Found".

There it is! Smiley Surprised

Nope, it's gone Smiley Mad

There it is! Smiley Surprised

Nope, it's gone Smiley Mad

Any help would be appreciated. Anyone else experiencing this behavior?

4 REPLIES 4

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hello,

Are you using BESR 7.0 or 7.01?

If other forum users are not able to offer any advice, I would strongly suggest you contact Symantec support for assistance.

Thanks.

ANONYM0US
Level 4

This is  BESR 7.01 and I have an open case #311-703-198.

If other forum users are unable to offer any advice, it would be really great if a Symantec employee could.

/rant

I realize these are P2P forums, but your presence gives us the (false) hope that Symantec will step up and take responsibility for their programs, rather than going the cheap route and letting their users stumble along, hoping that some other poor sap has been able to extract the required information from Symantec’s “Official” support channel and happens to drop by, sees the same fault and responds with the needed info in a timely manner.

Symantec would garner GREAT GOBS of GOODWILL if they dedicated a few techs to roam this site and provide timely, useful info on a regular basis. Think of the cost savings if phone support could point here or to the KB with a solution! Think of all the knowledge Symantec’s techs could port back to the KB, just by seeing what their clever users have done to fix their issues!

/rant

Message Edited by ANONYM0US on 09-19-2007 12:38 PM

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hello,

I understand your frustration, and you certainly make a good point.  We are always working on getting additional resources available to assist with our user forums.  Unfortunately I'm not the guy in charge of those resources.

In the meantime, we have to rely on other BESR customers, other Symantec employees who visit the forum occasionally, and my best efforts in making this forum a useful place to find answers to BESR questions and to discuss obstacles people are trying work through.

I do commonly refer people to our support organization, as they remain the experts at troubleshooting and resolving BESR issues.

Thanks.

Not applicable
We were also getting the Error E7C30010 error message while trying to perform a restore of a domain controller.  After alot of troubleshooting I found that the source of our problem was with the BIOS of the computer we were restoring to.  The motherboard is a Tyan S3970G2N-U-RS and we were using SATA drives.  We had the drives set to use "PATA Emulation" in the BIOS, mainly because with this particular motherboard if you use "Native SATA" the hard drive LEDs would not work as we felt they should.  At any rate while using PATA Emulation we kept getting this error.  We finally set it up to use "Native SATA" during the restore, installed the SATA drivers while in the BESR recovery console, and then we were able to completely restore the drive from an image.

We did run into an additional problem.  When we went back to PATA Emulation after the image had been restored, all of the sudden our BOOT.INI file was no longer a valid file.  It did not point to the correct partitions.   We solved this by booting into the Recovery Console and running the "bootcfg /rebuild" command.  Afterwards we did not see any more errors.

I figured I'd post this in case someone else ran into a similiar problem while using SATA drives.