cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maybe it's me but the KB articles never match up for me

Gossett
Level 6

I was doing a test restore (from an SQL .bkp backup) to a seperate server than the one it's backed up from. This is the error I get during the restore:

sqlrestore.png

Try as I might, that KB article at the bottom gives me three answers, none of them appropriate. ANy help is appricaited while  I continue to look.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

While restoring to a different server, are you restoring to a SQL instance. Cause this error if often seen when someone tries to redirect restore the database to a file system. This does not work. You would need to restore the data to a SQL instance which was a same or higher version of SQL than the one from which the database was backed up.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

lmosla
Level 6

Hello Gossett, By chance is this a VMware SQL restore? If it is have you installed Backup Exec 2012 Revision 1798 Hotfix 199866

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Gossett,

I've never relied on the error codes...they're generic and generally tend to point to any of a number of issues with the same error code...nothing specific that actually nails down your specific error.

Thanks!

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

While restoring to a different server, are you restoring to a SQL instance. Cause this error if often seen when someone tries to redirect restore the database to a file system. This does not work. You would need to restore the data to a SQL instance which was a same or higher version of SQL than the one from which the database was backed up.

Gossett
Level 6

nope, just a regular SQL instance.

Gossett
Level 6

Actually I wasn't restoring to an instance so I think you nailed it. I find it hard (not just with BE) to try to test things sometimes as I don't have a license for another server so it appears i'm out of luck ! will this restore to an instance of SQL express by chance (since it's free)? Thanks!

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

If you are testing a restore, you could redirect restore the database back to the same instance with a different database name.

Or you can install a new SQL instance on the same server and redirect the database to that instance.

PackMatt73
Level 4
Employee

Hello Gossett -

We definiitely don't like to hear that.  Interestingly, the team that drives the Knowledge Base is here at Backup Exec HQ for a few days all-hands meeting.  I have forwarded this to a couple of folks from that team as a suggested topic of discussion.

I am also bringing in my tech support team to look at your issue.  You should be hearing from one of them shortly.

If you have any other questions, my blog from last week lists different ways of connecting directly with tech support engineers.  Please don't hesitate to take advantage of those methods.

Gossett
Level 6

Thanks for the awesome information, saved me a lot of time!

Gossett
Level 6

I didn't really mean it as an offense. This forum (all of them dealing with Backup Exec for me) is the best one i've ever run across. It's just what I call the 'microsoft curse', where some KB aren't very precise and in the interest of saving time sometimes I can't spend a lot of it word searching. I appriciate you doing this just know i've had many many many answers given to me here. The people are fantastic!

PackMatt73
Level 4
Employee

Totally understand.  However, we really do have the Knowledge Mgmt team in town this week.  I talked to a few of them yesterday afternoon about your post.  Always great to be able to walk right down the hall to discuss a user's issue!

Gossett
Level 6

appriciate it. Like I said  the issue I have is that, for example, in a plain old restore to disk I will get a certain, specific, error. When I bring it up it may just be for Oracle or GRT or something along those lines, then you have to search and search