cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Full after one backup operation.

AndyFraser
Level 2

I am running BackupExec 2012 on Windows Server 2008 with a QuikStor 320GB drive.

I have backup exec set to do a full backup on Friday night followed by incremental backups for the remaining six days.

I am finding that after the first backup that the backup drive is full even though the data on our server is a fraction of 320GB.

Looking at the files on the backup drive I see the following under the VERITAS\B2D:

QuikStor.png

You can see that there are a number of 52GB files created on Friday night and the early hours of Saturday morning !

The sum of the used space on all the drives being backed up totals under 100GB.

Can anyone suggest what is going on ?

Best Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndyFraser
Level 2

Having a closer look at the backup set, I noticed that I was backing up another drive that should not have been marked for backup. After removing that drive, the backup size was greatly reduced and is now working as it should. Many thanks for the helpful advise.

Andy

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Check the Backup Selection list for duplicate selection of data. Also make sure that the Veritas\B2D folder is not included in the selection list.

Are you backing up compressed data. Cause, if you are backing up compressed data and using software compression in BE, it can actually expand.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Check the size allocated to the B2D files...could be that they're allocated at 50GB, hence their size. Also make sure that you're not appending to the B2D files, and are instead overwriting them (I suspect this is by default in BE 2012).

Thanks!

AndyFraser
Level 2

Guys,

Thanks for the fast replies !

The QuikStor drive is excluded from the backup. Compression is set to 'Hardware (if available, otherwise software)'. Should I set compression to None ?

The maximum file size is set to 50GB. I am not sure where you specify overwrite/append so not sure what it is currently set to do.

Best Regards

Andy 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

OPP and AP is set in the media set targeted by your job.  There are some data on your disk from the previous day.  Read this document to understand what OPP and AP is all about.

OPP and AP explanation

However, you do not have to worry about appending to your data because BE 2012 does not allow you to append to disk media.

You should expand your joblog and check what data is being backed up.  For 13/7, you have already backed up more than 200GB.

AndyFraser
Level 2

Having a closer look at the backup set, I noticed that I was backing up another drive that should not have been marked for backup. After removing that drive, the backup size was greatly reduced and is now working as it should. Many thanks for the helpful advise.

Andy