cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Labels

thelaststop720
Level 4

I have a fresh install of BE 12 SP1. I ran a test job last night and inserted a new LTO-2 tape with a barcode label of 400. In Backup Exec, it shows the media label as LTO000001. How do I get it to reflect what the physical bar code is? I realize this is probably simple, but I've read and looked through several different options and have not found one pertaining this (that I know of!).

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

You have to Label the tape

But do this before writing data to the tape.  If you re-label, you are basically quick-erasing the tape, and will need a Data Recovery company to get any data off of it

thelaststop720
Level 4
Can you be more specific when you say relabel the tape? I would like Backup Exec to understand the tape label that is on there without me having to relabel each new one I put in. Also, this is on a PowerVault 122T, and right now I'm looking into if it even has a barcode reader on it. That would definitely be an issue.

thelaststop720
Level 4
Alright, well, I'm an idiot. The PowerVault 122T comes with an optional barcode scanner and, of course, we didn't order it. So that would explain why it can't read the barcode. Now my question is this: it has marked it as LTO000001. How will it know that it is that tape once I take it out and put it back in at a later time?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Inventory the slot (Media Tab\Right click the slot\inventory)

L__Quarton
Level 4
Under OPTIONS - Media Management - set up the Prefix and number of digits, etc for the external labels you are using.  For that one tape that got labelled LT0000001, you will need to load it into the drive and label it to match what is on the external label.