cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Set : backup exec and windows nt backup

knizam
Level 2

This is regard of backup exec and windows nt backup  media set

I tried to change the overwrite period and append period, click apply, go back to other tab, double check, the default value is still there. 

Does it not able to change?

3 REPLIES 3

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Media sets that are part of the System Defined sets cannot have their properties amended and in some cases behave differently from the other sets. For the that Backup Exec and NT Backup set, its special behaviour relates to both what happens when unknown media are inventoried and found to contain backup sets AND also what happens if Partial Media Overwrite Protection is in used

The list of System Defined Media sets is

- Backup Exec and Windows NT Backup Media

- Cleaning Media

- Foreign Media

- Retired Media

- Scratch media

Noted, I'm asking bcoz I have a duplicate job to RDX as destination, i create New Media Set to the RDX...but somehow i can see the RDX belong to the New Media Set i created.

I saw it is list under backup exec and windows nt backup media set.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

From Backup Exec 2012 onwards disk devices are NOT managed by mdia sets

I strongly urge you to spend time to lookup Data Lifecycle Management (DLM) In Backup Exec and how disk based sets are retained as it is a huge change in behaviour from media sets (which still exist to handle ONLY tape devices)

You should already have noted that you cannot create a backup job to RDX and find a place in the job config to choose a media set - this is part of DLM changes.

I also suggest that you get off BE 2012 and onto a newer version (after checking the SCL and HCL carefully against your environment)  - this is because both tape handling (due to single server jobs etc)  and DLM (due to it in effect being version 1.0 of DLM) have undergone huge changes since Backup Exec 2012. 2012 is also not supported as of beginning of May.