cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Set confussion

FullOfQuestions
Level 2

Hi there,

I was hoping someone could be off assistance; we have a new library installed that can hold 30 tapes and we currently have two backup jobs.  Each back up job has its own media set, however we find that each job takes whatever tape it wants and does not take the one in which I said to use when setting the job up.

So here is the long winded bit,

Job one is told to take tapes from media set 1 and this media set has x amount of tapes within.  Job one starts at 8pm and has a overwrite protection on the media set for 8 hours.

Job two is told to take tapes from media set 2 and this media has x amount of tapes within.  This job starts at 7 am, which then means it shouldn’t take tapes from media set 1 stated above.  

However this morning, Job 1 still took a tape from media set 2 even though it had its own tapes to use, so I put an overwrite protection on media set 2 for 12 hours to then stop job 1 using it.

Hopefully you are still with me…

So based on me now setting overwrite protection on both media sets should neither touch the tapes in the opposite media set now?

Also as this is a new setup each day we need to put new tapes in and put the barcodes on, and we hoped 1 – 100 was for 1 job and 101-200 could be for the second job?  As the overwrite protection only counts once the tape has been written too, how can I stop the jobs taking the wrong tapes on the initial use of the tape.

Many thanks,

2 REPLIES 2

Greg_Meister
Level 6
You would be better served to configure your library into partitions, which would show each partition as a separate device. Target the respecive jobs th their own partition, and they cannot use media in the other partition, regardless of overwrite or append period. As it is, Backup Exec looks in the designated media set for overwritable or appendable media, but if not found, Backup Exec will then look in Scratch Media for available media. Failing that, Backup Exec will then look in any media set for available media. This is all documented in the following technote: http://support.veritas.com/docs/192265

FullOfQuestions
Level 2

Thanks Greg for the response, the partition thing does sound interesting, and the link proved very useful, reading that actually helped do the trick.  It was a combination of overwrite protections and actually putting the first job into scratch media which got me around this.  Most annoyingly I should have thought of that first, but had the old must be something bigger thoughts going through my head.

But the partition will help immensely when our jobs get more complex.

Thanks again.