cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Sets and Devices

Gene_Magerr_2
Level 3
I have a dell 136T autoloader. It holds 60 tapes. I've partitioned the drives 3 sets of 20. I've created 3 media sets and pointed each media set to one of the drive partitions in my backup templates. I noticed in the devices tab, some of the media sets are showing up in the wrong drive slots. What can I do to make sure the correct media sets are in the correct drive slots? I went back through the backup jobs and everything is pointing to the right places? Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You cannot "point a media set at a partition", you can only point the jobs at a partition, and specify a media set for the job.

Assuming that this is what you mean by everything is pointed to the right places, you have a serious problem and probably need to ante up and pay for an incident with Symantec

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Do you mean that wrong tapes are seen in wrong partitions..?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to the �answered questions� pool.

Gene_Magerr_2
Level 3
Sorry I think i was unclear. I have my drives partitioned in 3 sets of 20. I have 3 media sets

===================== Drive Partitions =======================
Drives 1 - 20
Drives 21 - 41
Drives 42 - 60
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

=====================Media Sets ==========================
1. SAN Old
2. SAN New
3. Standard Servers
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For example in my San Old policy I'm using the media set SAN Old to the Device
Drives 1 - 20
When I look in the devices tab at Drives 1 - 20 I see tapes in there from the SAN New and Standard Servers media sets. Is that what i should be seeing or is something wrong? How would i fix this? Thanks.

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

What are the media set properties for each media set? What OPP level and options have you selected under Tools | Options | media managemen?
Media assignment also depends upon the overwrite protection configuration.

You may move one or 2 medias to scratch media and then run a backup job, in which the right media set and right partition is selected and check if the media gets proper device (slot) assignement.

Also refer these technotes:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/262055

http://support.veritas.com/docs/237374

http://support.veritas.com/docs/192265

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Does the SAN Old job description, for example point to the SAN Old partition (whatever you named it when you created it) as the target/destination?

And does the SAN Old job also specifically name the SAN Old media set as the media set to contain the backup?

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Could you please Update us on the issue?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.