cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media size incorrectly displayed, backup finishes but job hangs at the end

Andreas_Gerber
Level 2
Hello folks,

We have recently installed a new HP Storageworks DLT VS160 tape drive that we drive with BackupExec 9.1.

We use HPDLTtape VS1 160GB tapes.
The inventory shows the tape capacity as 40GB though.

When I backup to the tape the job writes around 72 GB then just sits there and waits for I don't know what. The details show that the operations are finished but the job is not ending, usually I have to cancel it.

Any ideas why the tape capacity is not properly displayed and why the job stalls at the end?
6 REPLIES 6

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello,

Please check out the following documents:

Backups fail to get double the amount of the native capacity recorded to a media, even when hardware compression is being utilized.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/199542

How to confirm that the data is being properly written to the tape media
http://support.veritas.com/docs/246958

To isolate the issue you could also perform backups to the tape with the help of the ntbackup utility of Windows.

Hope it helps!

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Andreas_Gerber
Level 2
Thanks.
But my problem is not with maximum (compressed) capacity.
I looked at the Drive properties, Support types and the VS1 160GB cartridges are not in the list.

Andreas_Gerber
Level 2
Backup Exec should display a 80 GB media

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Media capacity is the amount of expected total raw capacity of the media.
The incorrect media capacity problem is usually observed on tape devices
which do not have Media Capacity Checker functionality.
Some tape devices support the ability to read the amount of media capacity of the media that is currently loaded in the device.

Hence we request you to perform a erase operation on the tape and check.

Also perform a full backup until the tape capacity, for example if the tape capacity is 20GB then perform a backup of 20GB with overwrite option.

Once the backup is completed and next time when the tape is inserted for backup, check the media capacity displayed.
In addition, do ensure that the firmware of the tape device is upgraded to
the latest.
Also suggest you to upgrade the Tape Drivers, you may use the latest Veritas Drivers.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Andreas_Gerber
Level 2
Thank you for your input.
The first time I tried the new backup unit it did not work with the Veritas drivers, so I uninstalled them. Then it worked fine with the HP driver. Until the next boot.
After the boot the server would not recognize the drive. Then I installed the Veritas driver again and now the drive is recognized and also the media is correctly displayed. I hope it will remain that way after the next boot...

Everything works fine, only the full backup job still hangs with weird errors. It looks like he does write to the tape (less than the 80 GB the tape can take) but then it ejects the tape and remains active, expecting a tape load. No matter what tape I insert the job just hangs. The only difference with the incremental backup job that works perfectly seems to be the hardware only compression....

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- Could you please Update us on the issue

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.