cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory Allocation Request failed - Help!!!

RobinJ5
Level 3
Hi,

I am running BackUp Exec 11d v7170 with Exchange agent on a Windows 2003 64bit server running Exchange 2007.  I have installed the MAPI to allow it to work properly with Exchange 2007.

The backups are running OK but when i try to restore a folder in a mailbox I get the following error when the job runs:

Job ended: 12 April 2007 at 13:54:56
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0008442 - A memory allocation request failed. The computer may be running low on virtual memory.
Final error category: System Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33858

The link provided above does not work

The server has 4GB of physical ram installed and has 16GB of virtual memory available to it on two disks. I have tried increasing the virtual memory settings for each disk but this seems to make no difference.

Please can anyone help?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Robin,

Exchange will use a lot of resources to perform a restore.

Do you have the /3gb switch in your boot.ini file?

If you watch task manager when you run the restore you will see what process is utilizing the memory, this may give you a better indication on how to resolve it.

Patty

RobinJ5
Level 3
Thanks for your help.

The server is basically constanty running at about 4GB memory usage.  I believe that this is because it has 4Gb of physical memory and Exchange 2007 runs on top of SQL which usally grabs all the memory it can.

What is the /3GB switch and waht does it do?

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Robin,

It will increase the virtual address space.

Here is a MS article on how to optimize Memory usage for Exchange:

This should help manage the memory on your server.

Patty

RobinJ5
Level 3
Hi Patty,

I added the 3GB switch but it doesnt seem to have resolved the problem as i am still getting the same error message.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Rob