cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory Spikes when backup exec jobs run - BackUp Exec 12.5 SP3

dfisicaro
Level 3
We have been noticing some memory spikes on our Windows 2008 SP2 servers when our BackUp Exec jobs run during the evenings.

Are there any know issues when backing up AD or Windows 2008 systems?

We are running BackUp Exec 12.5 with SP3 installed.

Thanks,

Daniel
8 REPLIES 8

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Which process is eating up the memory?

dfisicaro
Level 3
I'm going to run some performance monitoring on the server but it seems to be happening when the backups run each evening.

I believe it might be "beremote.exe" process though as its the only thing that is accessing these servers during the night.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
Some spikes would be expected as accessing the file system and packaging for transfer over the network will use up resources and it is beremote.exe that is responsible for this process. Kind of depends on what you mean by 'spikes' and whether or not it holds at that level for an extended period of time or does not return the memory when the job completes.

dfisicaro
Level 3
I understand that some spikes are expected.

It just seems like the memory usage spikes up but doesn't really look like its freeing back up when the backup is completed.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
If you are comparing the memory after restarting the Backup Exec Remote Agent Service with that after 1 Job has finished then I think it does use a little more as some modules are cached the first time a backup runs - what you should find is if you compare the memory after the first run of a backup with after a second run (where you have NOT restarted the services) that it should be close to the same - although if you run a different type of backup then another module might be called so it may still vary a little depending on what you do - i.e. if SQL and Exchange are on same server and you run an Exchange backup, the exchange libraries will be loaded if you then run a SQL backup it will load the SQL libraries and leave the Exchnage ones loaded too.

dfisicaro
Level 3
thanks.

I'll try and monitor the process tonight and see what happens.

teiva-boy
Level 6
 Also, even after updating your media server via liveupdate, you will have to update the remote agents as well, by re-pushing them.  

dfisicaro
Level 3
thanks will try your suggestions out.