cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Message when cleaning is needed

Emile_van_den1
Level 3
(hardware used: Dell Powervault 122T LTO1 autoloader)

Is it possible to get a message or an e-mail sent/ produced by BE when a cleaning procedure is needed?
I know that the Powervault warns for a needed cleaning tape by displaying a message on the machine and a red led. But it would be nice to have a message automatically generated by the server.

If this is not a functionality that comes with BE, does anyone know how often to clean the Powervault? Every day I run a differential backup (173 GB) and fits on 1 tape. Every weekend I run a full backup (400+ GB) and use 2 tapes.

Hope you can help me out!
2 REPLIES 2

uz
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
as I know, the tape does not send out a TapeAlert for cleaning needed.
(http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/230206.htm )

How often to clean a certain tapedrive is a very often discussed issue - at least since S-DLT and LTO drives came up.

Best to do is to read the manual of the tape drive you are using. There is an information about cleaning somewhere.
Doing so will keep up your hardware guarantee.

regards

uz

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Has the previous post helped in answering your question? As already mentioned, Backup Exec will display alerts in the alerts tab regarding media and its operations.The alerts will be like warnings for you which will help decide that cleaning is needed. It also depends upon the operations performed on the device which determine the frequency of cleaning as well as the type of media. The device manual can also help better in this regard.

Hope this answers your question. In case of further doubts, do write back to us at the forum. However if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.