cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate Backup Exec 12.5 to 2010 R3

crasho008
Level 3

Hello,

After 1 hours to looking for any news about this point, I prefer post here to find a solution.

I already looked at this KB : http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH129826

I have a server with backup exec 12.5 with SQL Express database 2005, all working with WIndows 2003 R2. (server is directly connected with SAS protocol to my autoloader)

I have installed a new SQL Server 2008  in which I will migrate backup exec database on it.

To install BackupExec 2010 R3, i need to re-installed on same server Windows Server 2008 R2 and after I will install BackupExec 2010 R3.

My problem is :

How migrate catalogs, datas and my jobs on this new Backup Exec 2010 R3 version?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...to put it simply:

1. Upgrade to BE 2010 R3 on your current server.

2. Once done, grab a copy of your Data/Catalogs folders and place them in a different location.

3. Upgrade the server to the new OS.

4. Install 2010 R3, and then copy the Data/Catalogs folders back. You need to rename the newly created Data/Catalogs folders to something like Data.old/Catalogs.old.

The server name doesn't change, it's just the OS. I've done it plenty of times now in the past 4 months and never had an issue with that.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Refer to http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67296

Don't forget step # 9 

CraigV

...to put it simply:

1. Upgrade to BE 2010 R3 on your current server.

2. Once done, grab a copy of your Data/Catalogs folders and place them in a different location.

3. Upgrade the server to the new OS.

4. Install 2010 R3, and then copy the Data/Catalogs folders back. You need to rename the newly created Data/Catalogs folders to something like Data.old/Catalogs.old.

The server name doesn't change, it's just the OS. I've done it plenty of times now in the past 4 months and never had an issue with that.

Thanks!

crasho008
Level 3

Hello,

Many thanks for your reply.

BackupExec2010 R3 is working on Windows 2003 R2 x32 server (actual version) ?

Migrate current database to an external SQL database before BE upgrade will not cause any problem? 

Yes the server name doesn't change, it's just the OS.

CraigV

It might not cause issues...as long as you have a copy, you can always revert.

crasho008
Level 3

A  copy of my Data/Catalogs folders you mean?

CraigV

Yes!

crasho008
Level 3

Great,

Many thanks for your reply.

I will try that ASAP.

Regards,