cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrated B2D backups sets not deleting

MichaelD2
Level 2

We migrated our BE16 install from a Win2012R2 box to a Win2016.  Pulled over the only B2D array we had and put in new server.  Upon initial load the B2D was not seen but opened case and tech had me give new name because old name showed in use.  We then inv/cat B2D and all prior backups on it were present.  It is a 14 TB arrary (non removable) that we keep about 7 days worth of full backups on.  I noticed that as new backups wrote to the B2D the older backup sets would expire but not go away.  I did a test backup of one VM to the drive and expired it and it went away just fine, but older backups from prior server do not delete.  I have checked NTFS permissions but no issues, as new backups have same perms.  No events appear in event log nor do any alerts come up in BE console.  If you attempt to manually expire and older set, it shows no dependants and looks like it will do something but nothing happens.  I do not have the Allow Backup Exec to delete all expired backup sets option checked and would prefer to keep it off for my own protection.  Any help would be apprectiated before I call support again.

2 REPLIES 2

VirgilDobos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Michael,

You will have to allow Backup Exec to delete all expired backup sets option checked to get this solved. To be on the safe side, I would advise working with support on this.

--Virgil

Thanks for the reply Virgil.  I made a zip backup of the entire Backup Exec install folder and a backup of the SQL database using SSMS then turned on that option.  I restarted the services just to see if it would automatically cleanup the expired jobs but nope.  I tried to manually expire using the console but still nothing.  I will open a ticket with support.