cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration from Backup Exec 9.1 to 2010 R2

svc007
Level 3

Good afternoon,

I've been running Backup Exec 9.1 on a Windows 2003 Server, SP2 and finally decided to move to Backup Exec 2010 R2 after checking the Hardware and Software Compatibility Lists.  I don't have very many backup jobs, media sets, etc. so I followed Symantec's advice and saved by old catalog files to a separate area, uninstalled 9.1, rebooted, installed 2010 R2 and ran LiveUpdate.  I then copied the 9.1's catalog files into C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Catalogs and stopped and restarted all Backup Exec services to index the entries.

I have two questions.  First, the old catalog entries don't show up at all when I go through the steps to perform a restore.  The file extensions in the old Catalogs folder end with FDD, SM, T01 or TMP.  Is there any way to load them into 2010 R2?

Second, I loaded a month old tape that was created under 9.1.  I can inventory the tape successfully.  I then tried to catalog it and the catalog wizard asked for a password which I left blank because I don't believe my tapes are passworded in any way.  The catalog process failed with error:

e0000600

The password provided in the job properties does not match the password for this media.
No sets on this media may be cataloged.

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-1536 

I re-ran the catalog process, entered a bogus password and this time it worked so now I know that I can restore data from my 9.1 tapes.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

The format of the catalogs has changed too much from v9.1 to v2010.  Only v11d and higher are supported as direct migrations

If you backed up your \Data and \Catalog Directories before upgrading, you should go  back and reinstall v9.1,  upgrade to v11 in demo/trial mode, and then upgrade that to v2010

If you did not backup those folders, I guess you could install v9.1 on a WInXp or W2K box, copy the \catalog folder back, then upgrade to v11d then 2010, and then copy the catalog folder back to the new production box

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

The format of the catalogs has changed too much from v9.1 to v2010.  Only v11d and higher are supported as direct migrations

If you backed up your \Data and \Catalog Directories before upgrading, you should go  back and reinstall v9.1,  upgrade to v11 in demo/trial mode, and then upgrade that to v2010

If you did not backup those folders, I guess you could install v9.1 on a WInXp or W2K box, copy the \catalog folder back, then upgrade to v11d then 2010, and then copy the catalog folder back to the new production box

svc007
Level 3

Thanks Ken.  I do have backups of Catalogs, Data, ECM, etc. folders so I will follow your great suggestion.

Have you any ideas regarding the cataloging of old tapes issue?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I'd just go ahead and migrate the catalogs and then try again.

If you still have problems, open another thread

svc007
Level 3

Thanks.