cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration

Vamsi1
Level 5

Hi Team,

I am planning to upgrade the Backup Exec Version from 12.5 to 2010. Where is the new server name is different.

looking for a article to proceed with the migration.

How to migrate (move) Backup Exec from one system to another with the higher version of BE, Windows and different computer names

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

I've moved from Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2008 R2 before (reinstalled HP ProLiant DL165 G5 media server) and it works. I had BE 2010 R3 SP1 installed, so it was simply a server OS change. Same name, same version of BE. So yes, it is possible.

It might be in your interest to upgrade your current media server to BE 2012 first, and then follow the second TN to migrate.

Whatever you do, grab copies of the Data/Catalogs folders first before doing any work.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Here you go. Try to make sure that the OS version is the same on both the servers as migration on different Os versions is not supported and is a reasonable effort.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67296

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129826

Vamsi1
Level 5

Thank you for you fast response...

But the Old server is Windows 2003(X86 - 32 bit) & the new server is Windows 2008(X64 bit)..

Is there possiblity for this

CraigV

Hi,

I've moved from Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2008 R2 before (reinstalled HP ProLiant DL165 G5 media server) and it works. I had BE 2010 R3 SP1 installed, so it was simply a server OS change. Same name, same version of BE. So yes, it is possible.

It might be in your interest to upgrade your current media server to BE 2012 first, and then follow the second TN to migrate.

Whatever you do, grab copies of the Data/Catalogs folders first before doing any work.

Thanks!

Vamsi1
Level 5

Thank you for the inputs.. If it is same server name, It works I agree.

What happens when the new server is different name???

CraigV

...then you need to use bemig to migrate all the BEDB settings across so that the new server name is updated.

Thanks!

Vamsi1
Level 5

Do you have article for bemigrate???

CraigV

...check the 1st TN provided and read from Step 8...all you need to know!

Thanks!