cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missed backup problem (Backup Exec 2010)

dahovey
Level 3

Hi All, We have in our office, Backup Exec 2010, and a single tape drive used for backup. We have five tapes we use, for each week day. We have a single backup job that reoccurs each weekday, backing up server at night. 

The problem is that if we forget to rotate the tape on any particular day, on the following day when we insert a tape cartridge, the tape backup still tries to process the missed backup. This doesn't seem right since the Time Window is set in the backup job for the night time.

We would prefer that Backup Exec not attempt to retry the backup, once a new tape is inserted, and a backup was missed.

Example: A tape is not inserted in the drive for the Monday night backup. Tuesday when we come in, we realize the mis-hap. We would like to be able to just insert Tuesday's tape. Is this possible, without Backup Exec attempting to process the missed backup?

I understand there are other ways around this, for example, I could cancel the backup from Monday (for example) and then everything would be fine. But for our office, the person who usually switches the tapes is the owner, who then takes the tape home every night.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Specify a time window for the backup ,so that if job does not find a tape during backup window it will

get cancelled. In the job properties check "Priority and Availability" option

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AmolB

Specify a time window for the backup ,so that if job does not find a tape during backup window it will

get cancelled. In the job properties check "Priority and Availability" option

dahovey
Level 3

From what I understand then, the time window just covers the start of the backup. We start our backup at 11pm, so I have it set for 10:30pm-11:30pm.

Thanks for your help.

AmolB

Also check the time window in the schedule.