cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing License Key

Michael_Leroy
Level 2
I have installed Backup Exec 11d back in April of this year. On the 10th of Sept I started to get errors with my nightly backup. It said that my trial version is expired. "WTF" I said. I look at the license info in the software and there is no key installed! How was it working before?!?! Anyways... I start to look for all the info that came with our server. The folder with everything in it is missing. Every key, paper, and cd that came with the server is GONE! So I phone my reseller (Dell) and they looked up the order and said that they don't keep license key info on their records. Then he tells me to phone Symentac Customer Care. The lady I talked to couldn't help me. She kept asking for a serial key. I don't have that serial key it was with the missing folder. So I was  hoping that someone out there my have a solution for me to try. Please anyone....
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you have a tape that was made when things were still running "correctly", and if it was made with either HW or no compression, you should be able to use NTBackup to restore the BESERNUM.XML file in the \WINNT directory  If you used SW compression, you'll need a functionion BackupExec install to restore

Michael_Leroy
Level 2
Thanks for the speed response.

Unfortunaly I didn't have that folder selected in my nightly backup. Is the any other way around this. I need this to work!

Thanks,

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Not that I am aware of

I'm surprised that Symantec can't/won't help you, tho.  I seem to recall even though it would work on a non-internet connected machine, if the machine was Internet enabled, the software would register with the mother ship when you started it for the first time, with all installed serials included

You're not backing up the %systemroot% folder of the media server?

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 10-17-2007 12:10 PM