cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mixed backups on one tape (Files & Exchange)

adamfs
Level 3

Apologies if this is a common question.

I have an Ultrium 4 Tape drive which I currently do a full backup of all the files on our server each night. 

I also run an exchange backup (same machine) each morning to an external drive.

Can I create a job that will backup up both in one job to one tape?

I have plently of space avaliable on the tape. I only have one trape drive so It's difficult for me to schedule two seperate jobs as I won't be able to swap the tape.. 

I'm sure at one point I was advised against this but can't remember the details.

Regards
Adam
(Backup Exec 2012 SBE)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Look, ideally if you can split your backups off, then great. You can use AOFO with data backups, and you can turn it off with DB backups for instance.

If you don't have that functionality, then there isn't any issue doing it this way.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV

Hi,

Not a hassle if everything is on 1 server...you'd just select the tape drive as your target, and make sure all the data you want backed up is selected.

If on separate servers, you need to chain your jobs.

Thanks!

adamfs
Level 3

Ok, Thanks Craig

Very straight forward then. I'm sure it was my other backup vendor who advised me against it.

Many thanks
Adam

CraigV

Look, ideally if you can split your backups off, then great. You can use AOFO with data backups, and you can turn it off with DB backups for instance.

If you don't have that functionality, then there isn't any issue doing it this way.

adamfs
Level 3

Thanks for the clarification Craig. 

Appreciate it.
Adam