cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitor a backup

crp
Level 3

Hi,

I run NDMP backups. I have a frozen backup. Backup exec still see the job running but it hasnt copied any bytes to tapes in 10 hours according to the job activity. How can I check what backup exec is doing ? or what it is waiting for ? the activity monitor is not showing enough information to me.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You should be able to open the job to see what's happening. If there are no active alerts though, your job has probably stalled and won't complete.

Stop the job and retry it.

Thanks!

crp
Level 3

Like I said, yes I can open the job activity. I see the job rate, the number of bytes copied, the status, and that's pretty much it. I have no idea what backup exec is doing or what it is waiting for. There must be something else more verbose than this job activity I guess.

I dont want to stop the job and retry. I've done this over the last month. Now I want to know why it freezes and solve the problem.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You can consider real-time debugging using SGmon.exe (/Program Files/Symantec/Backup Exec)

Enable certain options on the left side as as RAWS, Job Engine, Device & Media to monitor the backup progress. In case, if you require assistance with reading the output, would recommend to log a support case.